how hot is too hot

  • alamosa420
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2012
      I have been thinking of using gelled sterno fuel for a heat source insted of olive oil, or candles. Does the sterno burn too hot for the genaric, premade boilers that are put in most boats today? Will it buurn the motor out, or melt the solder? Or is I ok to use?
    • Paul Eiken
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2012
        does tend to be a bit hot, not so much a problem of heat per se  but of flame size, in a candle or oil it is easier to trim to a small wick to moderate heat, not so easy with gell

        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2012
          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "alamosa420" <alamosa420@...> wrote:

          > I have been thinking of using gelled sterno fuel for a heat source insted of olive oil, or candles. Does the sterno burn too hot for the genaric, premade boilers that are put in most boats today? Will it buurn the motor out, or melt the solder? Or is I ok to use?

          I've failed some small and large engine soldered joints using sterno. A well designed engine doesn't take a large heat source (below engine with 1/4" tubes is using a tea candle). If you want to have a hot running engine, brazing or silver soldering the critical joints may be required.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PBgYCkwdV8
          Message 4 of 4 , May 6, 2012