boiler question

  • alamosa420
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23, 2012
      I was wondering, would a boiler without a diaphram to make the "pop pop" sound, in other words a solid boiler, work the same way as the pop pop boiler, or would it not work? I am new to this and would like to try to make my own boiler, and wondered if this would work:
      Thanks
      Alamosa420
    • Jean-Yves Renaud
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24, 2012
        The diaphragm is just there to create the sound. The first patent was without diaphragm. The diaphragm decreases the performances. A solid boiler is better for thrust but not so fun because almost silent. In fact, there is a very low sound that you could hear if you put your ear close to the engine. Careful! It is hot.

      • gandalf@sonic.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 24, 2012
          I'm probably not the best person to answer, but they work fine. They are a lot quieter, almost silent. Seems to be arguable if they produce more or less power than the noisy kind. I think that generating the noise must use some power. The expanding steam is met with a boiler that expands somewhat then stops expanding (when it pops). The solid boiler doesn't expand which would give a sharper stroke. I also think the noisy kind will wear out where the solid ones will probably last a lifetime.

          (imagine a cute or dirty tagline here)

          On Mon 23/04/12 5:53 PM , "alamosa420" alamosa420@... sent: