It's time to...

  • Daryl
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2012
      It's time to stop thinking about it and start doing it. The unofficial Mamod and other steam forum is starting it's third annual putt putt build contest. Here is all the information and the link.

      2012 World Wide Pop Pop Boat Build

      The Spring Event and blatant attempt to have fun in the water and celebrate the return of the boating season!! Also a not-so-secret way to lure any of you into the fun and challenging world of steam boating!!!

      Pop-Pop boats being the gateway steam engines that lead me to the world of steam engines and this site in the first place are cheered once again- This is a celebration of these little sometime noisy fellows!! They are inexpensive, loads of fun and may help you enjoy the various skills involved in the world of building a boat, putting a fire in it and casting it on to the waters!! So simple a kid can build one or even an old duffer!

      The Ide’s of March Kick-it-all-Off for this years WWPPBB on- 3-15-2012……..The official start of the ticker and initiation of building starts March 15, so beware of a late start. This will give a little more than 6 weeks to build your entry.
      Then the Boat Show begins…….The entries will be unveiled by your posting starting 12:01 AM April 27- concluding Midnight April 29. (So 4-27,28,29-2012 is the show).

      Start now â€" life gets busy when you least expect it.

      Newly built boats only please-
      All entries must be built for this year’s event. No re-runs please. They must be made by your own hand. No purchased engines!!!!

      2 Categories to choose from-
      Entrants can compete in two categories: Classic and Open

      • CLASSIC- This will include one “engine”, heated by conventional flame ( oil or candle type) in a boat of any size. Engines may be either coil or diaphragm style. Any length and any hull material may be used.
      • OPEN- multiple engines and or tubes, r/c steering, propane burners , drive mechanisms, submarines, multiple hulls, lights, advanced electronics, the size is up to you….So go crazy or just clever!!

      Posting your entry-
      To qualify for consideration of prizes all entrants must post a “WWPPBB table” between 12:01 am (your time) on April27- through 11:59 pm (your time)April 29.
      1. You must show a minimum of 1 photo (but please be creative and do you best!) but we love more!!
      2. Most importantly, all entrants must post a video of you boat actually making way under steam power.
      3. Yes “team-builds” are allowed (collaboration is Ok and encouraged if that helps you participate)- you will have to share any prizes you may win, sorry.

      DISCLAIMER -NOTE- If you cannot or are not able to provide a video due to lack of a video camera, or ability to post a video- several of us are available to help (we cannot lend you a camera obviously) I am happy to have you build, enter, post and I will heap lavish praise on you for doing so etc…Your boat will NOT be eligible to be named the WINNER if there is no video proof of you boat moving under its own power.

      There will be awards for:
      • Best Classic Category boat-
      • Best Open Category Boat (minimum of 2 boats must be entered in this category for a winner to be declared- sorry) So talk amongst yourselves to see who else is in this area- challenge someone!!.
      • The entries will be judges on design, decoration, performance, originality, presentation and enthusiasm!!! P.S. I may have and award other prizes as I see fit.

      If anyone wants to pitch something in on prizes- PM me and we can discuss

      HOW do you BUILD a POP POP Boat you ask??
      If you have never made a Pop Pop boat- you may need resources of information:

      Here they are:
      Daryl and Jean’s great site-
      and a link to a post from prior years listing other various sites and video’s that will speed you o your way!

      GET GOING!!!
      6 weeks goes fast my friends

      Prize thread in a day or so...you are going to like the prizes....one is a fully built MH & B Der Seeka..........NOPE- I just woke up, sorry I was dreaming