Re: Foam, foam on the range?

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
      Hey Frank & crew,

      Which is it, the "RANGE" from your subject title or the "REFRIGERTORS"
      from your last sentence? Sounds like you have to get out of the kitchen.

      All kidding aside. My wheels were turning on the foam approach just last
      night. I own several of the Lindberg, Ideal Toy type plastic models, all
      of which are still unassembled. Some are complete, a couple are missing
      parts. I picked up those for spares. Anyway, I was thinking of using one
      of the naked hulls to create a mold for a foam hull using the low
      expansion aeresol insulation. The hulls are approx 18" long so the plan
      is to buy or make a box for the outer form. The plastic hull would be
      suspend below flush with the top edges. The engine pocket could even be
      an insert. I could then mix a slurry of plaster of ceramic from one of
      the local ceramic shops. Once fired the impression (hopefully it would
      have picked up som of the planking details etc.) could be sealed from
      the foam. You put a sufficient amount of foam in the cavity and the shut
      it off with a plate to restrict the expansion and perhaps create a hull
      that would be a little denser that free expanding foam. Once cured the
      foam hull could be modified with Xacto tools and then painted. Once the
      basic hull is complete you have various options for the rest of the
      details.

      Like you I have many ideas just floating around in my head. Sooner or
      later I'll have to act on one or two. Too many irons in the fire with
      work and all. One of the irons got hotter last night.

      My 50th elementary school Reunion fell in place. I reserved a Country
      Club for a BBQ on Aug 11 and a Brunch on Aug 12, 2007 in New Hampshire.
      Now the work of contacting 50 or so classmates with the news begins.
      I've set up a committee for support so we're on our way. If I'm not as
      responsive you know why.

      regards,

      <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

      > Hi Len, Pete and all,
      >
      > I think Len might be right about not wanting to do a tinnie. I think
      our
      > member Graham McAllister has a better material for pop-pop boats. Foam
      is
      > easier to cut than tin and less likely to sink. Go to:
      > http://www.scalesailing.com/ to visit Graham's website and learn a new
      way
      > he has developed for producing kits for Footy class RC sailboats that
      might
      > also be used to produce pop-pop Clermont boats. Graham uses a hot wire
      > cut blocks of Styrofoam that are "skinned" with thin sheets of wood.
      There
      > is a hole in the middle for the RC gear. A similar method might be
      used to
      > make foam cores for pop-pop boats. A Clermont core could be skinned
      with
      > printed film and have one or more holes for a boiler pit and recessed
      > passenger compartments. The boiler pit could be made of tin or brass
      and
      > made deep enough so the bottom would contact water to keep it cool.
      The

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
        Hey Pete,

        Didn't you ever go to the movies back when Roy Rogers would sing
        "Home, Home on the Range" to his horse? And take another look at that
        last sentence. The word looks like "
        refrigerators" from where I'm standing.

        Best wishes, Frank

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
          yeah! Roy Rodgers, Gene Autry, Cisco Kid, the Lone Ranger...and the list
          goes on. We're dating ourselves. Who was the one with Andy Devine? No,
          not the Plunk your magic twanger Froggie!

          Just busting "CHOPS". Speaking of getting out of the kitchen.

          "Refrigerators"? I can spell my damn finger (Hunt & Peck) can't!
          Actually I was trying to rush a note out during lunch and didn't proof.
          Now it's break time. What can I say?

          pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com<pop-pop-steamboats%40yahoogroups.com>\
          ,

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
            Hi Pete,

            I can date myself more than you can with Hoot Gibson and Hopalong Cassidy.
            Andy Devine was a Roy Rogers sidekick and did several westerns with John Wayne.
            Gregory Peck did a few westerns, but none that I recall with anybody named Hunt.
            Helen Hunt was in a few movies, but never impressed me as being a cowgirl type.

            See you around the mule barn, old Frank

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 15, 2006

              Hi Frank,

               WILD BILL HICKOCK!