Alcohol "Penny Stoves" as burners

  • techrecycle.2010
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 16, 2011
      Hello,
      I'm new to the group, although I've played with building large scale pop-pop boats on and off for some years, after getting my first Indian pop-pop boat from Lee Valley Tools.

      My question for the group is regarding alcohol burner heat sources. I have seen wick-type burners mentioned, but has anyone ever tried the methanol-burning "Penny Stove", made from the bottom sections of two Coke cans (or if you can find them, two of the 250 ml Red Bull cans).
      A link to the inventor's page, with build instructions, is here:

      http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/penny2.html

      I have built several of these stoves, originally intended as ultra lightweight stoves for backpacking, and all versions of the stove have worked well and been "well behaved" - no flares or burnouts, etc. They do generate a fair amount of heat, but the heat output can be controlled to some extent by the number of burner jets.

      My smallest stove is 2 1/4" diameter x 1" high; it has 6 jets and will burn for about 7 minutes on 10 ml of methanol, and up to 20 minutes on 1 oz. (30 ml).

      Tools required for construction are simple: measuring tape, Sharpie marker, utility knife, scissors, ordinary cork-board-type push-pin (or #56 drill bit), and one penny. Building one takes about 10 minutes.

      The name "Penny Stove" refers to the penny used as a pressure regulator, loosely covering the 4 fill holes in the center of the burner cup. The presence of the penny ensures that the boiling alcohol in the stove cannot built up excess pressure, thus regulating flame jet size.

      Given the size of these burners, especially the ones built from smaller cans, they would seem a potentially good heat source. I am currently building a 15" tinplate boat, with the general hull lines of some of Daryl's boats, and plan to test the penny stove burner underneath a copper coil boiler.

      Anyone else had any experience doing this?
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 16, 2011
        techrecycle.2010 wrote:

        > Given the size of these burners, especially the ones built from
        > smaller cans, they would seem a potentially good heat source.

        I've been seeing some really small aluminum cans recently sold with
        pump-sprays (lubricants and scents are the likely contents) -- they're
        just under an inch and a half in diameter, significantly smaller than
        even the 250 ml Red Bull cans. I don't know if they'd work for penny
        stoves, though, because they have flat bottoms instead of the pressure
        domed bases seen in beverage cans.

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 16, 2011

          In the files section, see "article_ModelBoats_4-96.pdf" with images and descriptions of multiple compact engines made of square brass tubing, that could propel boats large enough to maintain their headings in spite of moderately strong cross winds.

          Best wishes, Old Frank

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 17, 2011
            OOPS!! forgot to add that in the links section there is one to butane fired lighters and torches that could be used as burners, the advantages being that some of these things could be turned on and off by remote control.
            There was a time when some vessels had square rigged sails and steam engines that could be fired up for extra speed. Britain's magnificent Warrior of 1860 would be worth studying by anyone who might be interested in building the ultimate kind of pop-pop boat.

            > In the files section, see "article_ModelBoats_4-96.pdf" with images and descriptions of multiple compact engines made of square brass tubing, that could propel boats large enough to maintain their headings in spite of moderately strong cross winds.
            >
            > Best wishes, Old Frank
            >
            > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Donald Qualls <silent1@> wrote:
            > >
            > > techrecycle.2010 wrote:
            > >
            > > > Given the size of these burners, especially the ones built from
            > > > smaller cans, they would seem a potentially good heat source.
            > > >

            > > I've been seeing some really small aluminum cans recently sold with
            > > pump-sprays (lubricants and scents are the likely contents) -- they're
            > > just under an inch and a half in diameter, significantly smaller than
            > > even the 250 ml Red Bull cans. I don't know if they'd work for penny
            > > stoves, though, because they have flat bottoms instead of the pressure
            > > domed bases seen in beverage cans.
            > >
            > > --
            > > If, through hard work and perseverance, you finally get what you want,
            > > it's probably a sign you weren't dreaming big enough.
            > >
            > > Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer http://silent1.home.netcom.com
            > >
            > > Opinions expressed are my own -- take them for what they're worth
            > > and don't expect them to be perfect.

          • David Halfpenny (y)
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 17, 2011
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 17, 2011

                Here's a nice burner design from another steam forum:

                http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/archive/bowman-eagle-gas-burner-finished.__o_t__t_34378.html

                > > butane fired lighters and torches that could be used as burners, the
                > > advantages being that some of these things could be turned on and off by
                > > remote control.
                >
                > Turning them off is easy - it's turning them on that's hard.
                >
                > Any tips please, because a compact automatic ignition system would be of
                > great use on many steam models.
                >
                > David 1/2d

              • William Abernathy
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 18, 2011
                  David Halfpenny (y) wrote:

> [...]

                  Try mood lighting, a little white wine, and some Barry White music.

                  --W

                  --
                  William Abernathy
                  Berkeley, CA
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 18, 2011
                    >> Turning them off is easy - it's turning them on that's hard.

                    > Try mood lighting, a little white wine, and some Barry White music.

                    I admire your research, William :-)