Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Tony - meths lamps, wick tubes, Parasene torches

  • David Halfpenny (y)
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 5, 2011
      From: "zoomkat" <Zoomkat@...>
      Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2011 11:03 PM
      To: <pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Tony - meths lamps, wick tubes, Parasene
      torches

      > That's interesting! I have the below butane torch in my collection.

      What a Price!
      I got the GoSystem equivalent for a friend's 78th birthday as it can be
      used one handed, has piezo and is flare-free.

      > What is the silver content (or manufactures name) of the rods you use?

      I've been using Johnson Matthey Easy-flo and Easy-flo 2, which are now
      discontinued and replaced by cadmium-free Silver-flo 55 which I've not
      tried yet.

      Easy-floT

      Silver 50
      Copper 15
      Zinc 16
      Cadmium 19

      Melting range 620-630C

      Easy-floT No.2

      Ag 42
      Cu 17
      Zn 16
      Cd 25

      Range 608-617C

      I've always used 1mm rod or 1/2mm wire, and hammered it flat if I need
      sheet pallions.

      I think your little torch would be Just Right for localised joints in
      jewellery sized pieces in brass, copper, steel and silver. Anything small
      enough for it to get cherry red comfortably will be OK - visual temperature
      guide chart:
      http://www.simplytoolsteel.com/images/Temperature-color-chart-large.jpg

      You'll need a suitable flux - I have a pot of Easy-flo flux which I may
      need to change if it doesn't work for the new filler.

      By 'localised' I mean I think it would make the joint a finger ring made
      from silver wire, but probably wouldn't braze that same ring to a flat
      sheet. For a job that's just beyond its scope one option is to use your
      MAPP torch to bathe the work in heat to dull red, which won't melt any
      previous brazing, then go in to the joint itself with the little torch to
      complete the job.

      David
    • mike.recycle
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 11, 2011
        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny \(y\)" <david.halfpenny@...> wrote:

        > . . . . Just fit the torch to the can, get the job done and then store your torch
        > OFF the can and you'll be OK.

        Thanks, for a tiny leak that's a good idea, if I cannot fix the leak completely.

        > If a can bubbles under water on its own, then I'm less sure about that.

        I suspected the can itself too but it passed the underwater test.

        Mike