Re: Tony - meths lamps, wick tubes, Parasene torches

    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 5, 2011
      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny \(y\)" <david.halfpenny@...> wrote:
      > Yes it does!
      > All my silver brazing has been done with pure Butane.
      >
      > I've used the Ronson Hi-Heat which takes special Butane canisters, or a
      > little 'cook's torch' from MicroFlame filled with Butane ciggy lighter
      > fuel.

      That's interesting! I have the below butane torch in my collection. I don't have any silver brazing rods, but do have a "nickel silver" rod with a lower working temperature of 1250 deg F. I'll see if the butane torch will melt the rod. What is the silver content (or manufactures name) of the rods you use?

      http://www.harborfreight.com/micro-torch-42099.html
    • mike.recycle
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 11, 2011
        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny \(y\)" <david.halfpenny@...> wrote:

        > . . . . Just fit the torch to the can, get the job done and then store your torch
        > OFF the can and you'll be OK.

        Thanks, for a tiny leak that's a good idea, if I cannot fix the leak completely.

        > If a can bubbles under water on its own, then I'm less sure about that.

        I suspected the can itself too but it passed the underwater test.

        Mike