Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Tony - meths lamps, wick tubes, Parasene torches

  • David Halfpenny (y)
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 5, 2011
      From: "zoomkat" <Zoomkat@...>
      Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2011 3:17 PM
      To: <pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Tony - meths lamps, wick tubes, Parasene
      torches

      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny \(y\)"
      > <david.halfpenny@...> wrote:
      >> All these options are excellent for soldering and silver-brazing, and
      >> the
      >> differences between them are purely matters of convenience.
      >
      > There seems to be confusion creeping in between firing a boiler and
      > making a boiler. As far as constructing a boiler, there is a world of
      > difference between soldering and true silver brazing. Silver brazing
      > requires a high temperature torch capable of heating the material to at
      > least 1300 deg. F., higher than the capability of the typical soldering
      > torch.

      A typical plumber's blowlamp is only intended for soft soldering, but if it
      can give a blue flame with a pale blue inner cone it is hot enough for
      silver brazing. How big a piece it will braze depends on the size of the
      flame. The hottest part of the flame (as you'll know but others may not) is
      just beyond the blue cone.

      The Go System torches are all labelled with the flame temperature they can
      reach.
      The lowest is 1300C (not F).

      http://www.go-system.co.uk/media/gosystem/brochures/GoSystem-Professional-and-DIY.pdf

      David 1/2d
    • mike.recycle
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 11, 2011
        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny \(y\)" <david.halfpenny@...> wrote:

        > . . . . Just fit the torch to the can, get the job done and then store your torch
        > OFF the can and you'll be OK.

        Thanks, for a tiny leak that's a good idea, if I cannot fix the leak completely.

        > If a can bubbles under water on its own, then I'm less sure about that.

        I suspected the can itself too but it passed the underwater test.

        Mike