Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] David - Parasene torches etc

  • David Halfpenny (y)
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 5, 2011
      From: "mike.recycle" <mike.recycle@...>
      Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2011 8:37 AM

      > So do you have a "hobby blowlamp", if so, what is it exactly?

      My all-time favourite is the old Ronson HiHeat that I've used for 40 years.
      At the turn of a knob it magically changes the flame from a tiny jeweller's
      pencil flame to a big roaring plumber's flame.

      There are two snags which led me to look for a replacement.
      One is that it takes special Ronson canisters, and the other is that the
      plastic friction clip that holds the blowlamp to the can has become brittle
      and is starting to fail.

      My new blowlamp is a GoSystem AT2071H Auto Start Blow Torch.
      http://www.go-system.co.uk/diy-range/diy/diy-auto-blow-torch.html

      It's very similar to your 762 but with piezo ignition and anti-flare, for
      which one pays more of course

      It fits the easily-found EN 417 canisters - including the big fat ones as
      well as the aerosol size.
      It has a single fixed burner head and a constant medium flame that barely
      alters with control knob setting.

      For me the huge plus is single-hand operation - left or right as convenient
      for the job.
      I hook three fingers around the plastic handle leaving index finger and
      thumb free to turn the gas knob and to press the ignition button. More
      important still, I can turn it off with that hand when I've done, which
      means I can use the other hand to steady the work or hold onto a support.
      You can't do this with a torch where you have to hold the can in your hand.

      The anti-flare features takes a short while to kick-in while the burner
      heats up. Other models don't flare right from turn-on, but I've not found
      one that does that and still works one-handed.

      Don't be afraid of flaring - it makes a big scary flame, but just stay out
      of its way. The amount of heat in the flare is quite low because liquid
      can't squeeze through the jet as fast, and the temperature of the lazy
      yellow flame is far lower than the concentrated heat of an intense blue
      jet.

      If you need to tip the torch forward for a job - as you do when using a
      hearth for soldering or brazing - light up in a clear space first and tip
      the torch forward until it flares. Now you know how far NOT to go when you
      are doing the job. A good tip is to keep a half-empty can around rather
      than use it all up. It can be tipped a lot further forward before flaring.

      Never use a torch without antiflare in a tight corner such as plumbing
      under a sink. If you joggle the torch or drop it you could be wedged in
      with a fireball.
    • mike.recycle
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 11, 2011
        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny \(y\)" <david.halfpenny@...> wrote:

        > . . . . Just fit the torch to the can, get the job done and then store your torch
        > OFF the can and you'll be OK.

        Thanks, for a tiny leak that's a good idea, if I cannot fix the leak completely.

        > If a can bubbles under water on its own, then I'm less sure about that.

        I suspected the can itself too but it passed the underwater test.

        Mike