David - Parasene torches etc

  • mike.recycle
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 5, 2011
      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny \(y\)" <david.halfpenny@...> wrote:

      > . . . . For most jobs it's much easier to use a hobby blowlamp that fits
      > directly onto a disposable canister, and has the conveniences of both piezo
      > ignition and flare prevention built in. . . .

      Thanks for your comments David, very helpful.

      "Hobby blowlamp" is exactly what I was looking for. The Parasene ones claim to be just that, and I did not find that firing up the 762, before I returned it, using a cigarette lighter or match was difficult or dangerous.

      So do you have a "hobby blowlamp", if so, what is it exactly? I don't know yet whether my coming Parasene 762 Fine-Flame will leak, or flare out liquid propane/butane when I tilt it.

      I would not use a blowlamp for a big pop-pop engine. If a big pop-pop engine were worth making, which I rather doubt from my reading here and elsewhere, I would look for a small hob burner like on a small camping stove, with the bottle separate and the burner low down. This should in theory have a better flame control range than a blowlamp, and a "simmer" setting might be all that was required . . . again, in theory.

      Mike
    • mike.recycle
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 11, 2011
        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny \(y\)" <david.halfpenny@...> wrote:

        > . . . . Just fit the torch to the can, get the job done and then store your torch
        > OFF the can and you'll be OK.

        Thanks, for a tiny leak that's a good idea, if I cannot fix the leak completely.

        > If a can bubbles under water on its own, then I'm less sure about that.

        I suspected the can itself too but it passed the underwater test.

        Mike