Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Tony - meths lamps, wick tubes, Parasene torches

  • David Halfpenny (y)
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 4, 2011
      From: "mike.recycle" <mike.recycle@...>
      Sent: Friday, November 04, 2011 10:43 PM

      > Can I use the same torch head with a tube and tank, or is the connection
      > different?

      Yes you can, within limits.

      Seivert make a range of burner heads that can be fitted either directly to
      a Parasene type disposable butane / butane mix canister, or via a rubber
      hose and handle.

      The same heads can be used directly on the heavier portable propane tanks
      using a separate neck with a suitable fitting. And they can be used with
      large propane tanks via a regulator, hose and handle.

      Although this kind of outfit is very versatile indeed, I don't use it very
      often. For most jobs it's much easier to use a hobby blowlamp that fits
      directly onto a disposable canister, and has the conveniences of both piezo
      ignition and flare prevention built in.

      All these options are excellent for soldering and silver-brazing, and the
      differences between them are purely matters of convenience.

      To power a pop-pop using disposable blowlamp canisters, I'd go for a
      horizontal-burner blowtorch and use short stubby cans upright. The benefits
      of using a hose would be outweighed by the awkwardness of the bulky handle.
      The boat would need to be about a yard long and maybe 6" deep. I'd advise
      against piezo because if gas does leak from the can it will fill the boat
      and go pop around your hand when you light up. Or make it a habit always to
      turn the boat upside down immediately before lighting - probably a good
      idea anyway.

      David 1/2d
    • mike.recycle
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 11, 2011
        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny \(y\)" <david.halfpenny@...> wrote:

        > . . . . Just fit the torch to the can, get the job done and then store your torch
        > OFF the can and you'll be OK.

        Thanks, for a tiny leak that's a good idea, if I cannot fix the leak completely.

        > If a can bubbles under water on its own, then I'm less sure about that.

        I suspected the can itself too but it passed the underwater test.

        Mike