Tony - meths lamps, wick tubes, Parasene torches

  • mike.recycle
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 4, 2011
      Hi Tony, thanks, your comments do help! I have a few questions:

      > . . . . Use very thin tubes to make the burners and transfer pipes (K&S tubing) . . . .

      I wondered about thin tubes, and wondered if I could roll the wick tubes out of alu beer can, soldered with Techno-Weld (may be impossible), with thin alu pipes and tank too.

      What is K & S tubing, where would I get it?

      > . . . . have a baffel between the burners and tank to reduce the effcts of radiant heat. . . .

      Sounds good.

      > . . . . A good way of reducing the heat transfer from burner to tanks is to use a short length of silicon tube in the supply tube, unfortunatley if you have a fire it will melt and add yet more meths to the conflagration, I wonder why I know that?

      Yes, it adds a risk!

      > There is another mail regarding screw-on gas torches, I have use one for may years and have had small leaks which have been down to the disposable gas cans rather than the torch. The torch I have has a disadvantage that when the gas can is full the torch cannot be used even at a slight angle downwards as liquid gas will come out, this problem gradually impoves as the gas is used up. Most of the soldering done is by a torch with a flexible hose connection to the tank.

      The leak I had was very small, but gave a horrible smell in the workshop, and was dangerous of course.

      Can I use the same torch head with a tube and tank, or is the connection different?

      Mike
    • mike.recycle
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 11, 2011
        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny \(y\)" <david.halfpenny@...> wrote:

        > . . . . Just fit the torch to the can, get the job done and then store your torch
        > OFF the can and you'll be OK.

        Thanks, for a tiny leak that's a good idea, if I cannot fix the leak completely.

        > If a can bubbles under water on its own, then I'm less sure about that.

        I suspected the can itself too but it passed the underwater test.

        Mike