Re: Daryl - meths lamp chimneys and wicks

  • Daryl
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 3, 2011
      For oictures go to the photo section via the list on the left and see my photos.
      The boiling is more likely when the burner is close to the boiler but more related to the amount of heat being produced. ie small boiler and small wick =no problem probably.
      Insulating the sump might make it worse as a lot of the heat is conducted to the sump by the wick tubes. I don't know.
      Can't comment on chimneys as I don't know how you are using them and I have never tried burners with wadding.

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "mike.recycle" <mike.recycle@...> wrote:

      > Firstly, I've lost the link to your pic of all your meths burners - can you remind me please?
      >
      > Secondly, short chimney = meths boils in sump, right?
      >
      > I guess non-conducting chimneys and insulation on top of sump have been tried?
      >
      > Meanwhile, I've ordered some 3 mm oil lamp wick to try in aluminium foil with meths-soaked wadding?
      >
      > Mike

    • mike.recycle
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 11, 2011
        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny \(y\)" <david.halfpenny@...> wrote:

        > . . . . Just fit the torch to the can, get the job done and then store your torch
        > OFF the can and you'll be OK.

        Thanks, for a tiny leak that's a good idea, if I cannot fix the leak completely.

        > If a can bubbles under water on its own, then I'm less sure about that.

        I suspected the can itself too but it passed the underwater test.

        Mike