Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Daryl - Intermediate heat source?

  • David Halfpenny (y)
    Message 1 of 32 , Oct 26, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 30 KB
    From: "Frank McNeill" <frankmcneilll@...>
    Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 11:52 PM

    > another wicked wick.

    One doesn't need wicks at all if one makes a Vapourising Burner.

    While a wick lifts liquid fuel into the flame by capillary action, a
    Vapouriser boils the fuel in the sump and burns the vapour. The fancy bits
    of copper shown in the attachment transfer heat from the flame down to the
    sump.

    Probably too tall for the present need though, especially as the usual way
    to start them is to put a tray of burning fuel underneath to start the
    boiling.

    I have one such locomotive myself, burning methylated spirits which is
    mostly ethanol.

    See attachment
  • mike.recycle
    Message 32 of 32 , Oct 29, 2011
      No Daryl, I had not found it, thanks! I've now put these 2 links in my pop-pop bookmarks folder.

      So much great information is coming in via this thread that I am having difficulty in keeping up with it all! Very helpful.

      Mike