Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Intermediate heat source?

  • David Halfpenny (y)
    Message 1 of 32 , Oct 26, 2011
      From: "mike.recycle" <mike.recycle@...>
      Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:21 AM
      To: <pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [pop-pop-steamboats] Intermediate heat source?

      > I am looking for a heat source "between" candle/olive oil and propane
      > torch/camp stove burner.
      >
      > It has to be very flat and low. BBQ firelighter block came to mind (for
      > tests only) or a flat meths tank with several wicks.
      >
      > Any ideas please, e.g. a design for a flat meths burner/wicks?

      In one of the tinplate Indian boats, I set up a tealight wick right down in
      the keel and poured liquid wax around it until I'd turned the bottom of the
      hull into a low, wide candle. Works fine as long as I wired the wick to
      stay upright once the wax around it has melted. Hard to see how it could
      get lower, so I'll be interested to see what the guys come up with.

      David 1/2d
    • mike.recycle
      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 29, 2011
        No Daryl, I had not found it, thanks! I've now put these 2 links in my pop-pop bookmarks folder.

        So much great information is coming in via this thread that I am having difficulty in keeping up with it all! Very helpful.

        Mike