Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Make Magazine Vol 28

  • William Abernathy
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 22, 2011
      Joe: I don't mean to be a meanie, but could you please respect Make's copyright
      on this one, at least until the next issue hits the stands? I wrote the article,
      I haven't even seen a print version of it yet, and you've already put it up
      online. I have no financial interest either way (been paid already) but the
      folks at Make ought be able to make their living too.

      As for Altoid tins... The magazine doesn't have any cross-promotion deal with
      them or anything like that. It's just that those little tins are so darned handy...

      --William

      --
      William Abernathy
      Berkeley, CA
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 22, 2011

        William,

        Congrats on the Make article! I do  subscribe and I read your piece: nice work. I think we’re all cheering you on. When someone makes more accessible these devices we all love, and creates some ripples, all boats will rise!

        As for the PDF Joe put up, there is no question that it is a clear violation of copyright—albeit well intentioned. That said, you have benefitted from being part of this cozy, informal forum. For example, the general idea to use an aluminum soda can, and then use epoxy instead of solder, was gotten from a member of this forum, freely shared.

        So perhaps you could treat us to a video of your boat running, or some behind the scenes commentary about developing it, in lieu of the copyrighted article. I know that I tried making traditional pop pop engines with my students—quite shallow, not deep like yours--but the flame still overheated the epoxy and made leaks. I am wondering if, by using that tall altoid can, the heat is farther away and the vertical wall radiates out enough heat to not cause leaks. If so, that’s brilliant and my hat is off to you. Also, bending the edges in rather than out was a smart move.

        By the way, my e-mail filter is capricious. Despite approving the Yahoo forum, I usually find the posts weeks later—if at all—in my filter. So if I don’t respond to something specific it’s not intentional.

        Slater

        --
        William Abernathy
        Berkeley, CA

        This message, together with any attachments, may contain information which is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message, along with any attachments.

      • Peak45
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 22, 2011
          Hi Guys,what is an Altoid can ??

          Wayne (England)

          andor_99833 wrote:

          > this
          quarter's make magazine (makezine.com) is on toys and games. i've uploaded a pdf article (poppop.pdf)on making a poppop boat.

          > the make people
          tend to use alot of altoid cans as raw materials.

          > joe

          petersburg, ak

          --
          William Abernathy
          Berkeley, CA
          http://yourwritereditor.com

          This message, together with any attachments, may contain information which is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message, along with any attachments.

        • arno_brosi
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 22, 2011
            Hi,
            Altoids is a kind of candy which comes in a can/tin.The tin has a very handy size so is used in all kinds of craft projects.
            Buy them here,if you're interested :
            http://www.mrsomalleys.co.uk/altoids-mints-p-83.html

            But I think there are other candy cans around that might work too.

            regards,Arno

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 22, 2011
              Thank you.

              Wayne.

              Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2011 9:16 PM
              Subject: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Make Magazine Vol 28

              --- In mailto:pop-pop-steamboats%40yahoogroups.com, "Peak45" <wayne.9003@...> wrote:

              > Hi Guys,what is an Altoid
              can ??

              > Wayne (England)

              href="mailto:pop-pop-steamboats%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:pop-pop-steamboats%40yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: RE: [pop-pop-steamboats] Make Magazine Vol 28
              >

              > William,
              >

              > Congrats on the Make
              article! I do subscribe and I read your piece: nice work. I think we’re all cheering you on. When someone makes more accessible these devices we all love, and creates some ripples, all boats will rise!

              > As for
              the PDF Joe put up, there is no question that it is a clear violation of copyrightâ€"albeit well intentioned. That said, you have benefitted from being part of this cozy, informal forum. For example, the general idea to use an aluminum soda can, and then use epoxy instead of solder, was gotten from a member of this forum, freely shared.

              > So perhaps you
              could treat us to a video of your boat running, or some behind the scenes commentary about developing it, in lieu of the copyrighted article. I know that I tried making traditional pop pop engines with my studentsâ€"quite shallow, not deep like yours--but the flame still overheated the epoxy and made leaks. I am wondering if, by using that tall altoid can, the heat is farther away and the vertical wall radiates out enough heat to not cause leaks. If so, that’s brilliant and my hat is off to you. Also, bending the edges in rather than out was a smart move.

              > By the way, my e-mail filter is
              capricious. Despite approving the Yahoo forum, I usually find the posts weeks laterâ€"if at allâ€"in my filter. So if I don’t respond to something specific it’s not intentional.

              > Slater

              href="mailto:pop-pop-steamboats%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:pop-pop-steamboats%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:pop-pop-steamboats%40yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of William Abernathy
              > Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2011 11:47
              AM
              > To:
              href="mailto:pop-pop-steamboats%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:pop-pop-steamboats%40yahoogroups.com

              > Joe: I don't mean to be a meanie, but could you please respect
              Make's copyright
              > on this one, at least until the next issue hits the
              stands? I wrote the article,
              > I haven't even seen a print version of it
              yet, and you've already put it up
              > online. I have no financial interest
              either way (been paid already) but the
              > folks at Make ought be able to
              make their living too.

              > As for Altoid tins... The magazine
              doesn't have any cross-promotion deal with
              > them or anything like that.
              It's just that those little tins are so darned handy...

              --William

              > andor_99833 wrote:
              > > this quarter's make
              magazine (makezine.com) is on toys and games. i've uploaded a pdf article (poppop.pdf)on making a poppop boat.

              > > the make people
              tend to use alot of altoid cans as raw materials.

              joe
              > > petersburg, ak
              >
              > --
              > William
              Abernathy

              href="http://yourwritereditor.com">http://yourwritereditor.com

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 22, 2011
                Slater:

                I have no question that Joe's posting was due to enthusiasm, not malice, and I
                ascribe and offer no ill intention to him for posting it. When Issue 29 is on
                the stands, I will turn a blind eye to any reposts, but I am a freelancer and
                not an employee or agent of the magazine, so you're on your own if they find out.

                I've just wrapped up an interview with the editors (them intervieing me), and
                that interview should be up this week. With that interview should be a link to
                the boat in action at:

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xb3cz5C08Y

                At the time I gave this interview, my recollection of the course of events with
                this article was different from yours. As I remembered things, I was warned off
                of aluminum diaphragms because they could not be easily or cheaply soldered. I
                honestly thought using JB Weld and aluminum can stock in this configuration was
                my own idea, and this is the recollection that's going to be reflected in the
                interview.

                Reviewing the group files, I do now note your June 7 suggestion to use epoxy,
                albeit for a different application (the sciencetoymaker "folded soda can" plan,
                which recommends hi-temp silicone glue), so I apologize if I stepped on any
                priority there or failed to recognize your contribution. The rest of the design
                I consider novel (as far as any of our "footnotes" on the original invention can
                be so considered) insofar as I'm using an aluminum soda can diaphragm in a way
                that I have not seen anyone else do.

                The issue with boiler depth may just have been one of dumb luck. (Bear in mind
                also that this is the Altoid Smalls tin, not the full-sized tins you may be more
                used to seeing.) I wanted to work with "found"/low-cost/easy-to-source
                materials. Though I have a roll of .003" brass stock, I could not source this
                material at either the local hardware store or the local hobby shop, and I could
                not recommend casual Make readers run out to order a $15 roll of brass sheet to
                make one toy boat. Folding the Altoid tin more or less in half (vertically)
                obviously reduces the volume substantially, and I folded it inward to give good
                mechanical support to the diaphragm, top and bottom, irrespective of the JB
                Weld's bond. The JB Weld holds the whole thing together, but the basic structure
                helps it along. I went through about a dozen failed "rough draft" engines, and
                ate a lot of Altoid Smalls that month. This one came together on deadline around
                July, and I was starting to pull out hair trying to document it, test it, and
                get it ready for prime time.

                How long this engine will last is a question of time and care. JB Weld, as I
                note in the article, breaks down around the same temperature as solder, if not a
                little higher. Eventually, if the JB Weld does not fail, the boiler will rust
                out (another advantage of non-ferrous boiler designs). It's by no means an
                heirloom, but it is a great place to give people an introduction to this
                fascinating type of steam engine, and hopefully bring a few moments of
                low-budget mirth to some families this holiday season.

                I hope to see a few new faces around here as a result of the article.

                I'll be happy to answer any more questions as they come.

                --William

                --
                William Abernathy
                Berkeley, CA
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 22, 2011
                  William,

                  I had to laugh at the, "... and ate a lot of Altoid Smalls that month" part!

                  It's not unusual for discoveries to me made independently, even simultaneously. Scientific history is full of examples. I will say that it is a matter of record that I was using aluminum for putt putt engines, recorded in this instructional video and elsewhere in the series, sealed with epoxy without silicone, a very different design than yours.

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8dEyNAcOYU

                  It's wonderful how no single person has all the ideas. The variations are what keep things moving and interesting.

                  I liked your explanation about momentum making the water piston overshoot its equilibrium. Very well put.

                  Cheers,

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 23, 2011
                    --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Peak45" <wayne.9003@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Guys,what is an Altoid can ??

                    I get ~3 altoid cans a week from a co-worker. My intention is to make a multi wick burner for a larger engine.
                  • David Halfpenny (y)
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 24, 2011

                      > I was warned off
                      > of aluminum diaphragms because they could not be easily or cheaply
                      > soldered.

                      Has anyone tried using aluminium solder?

                      David 1/2d
                    • Ivan Foster
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 24, 2011
                        Yes, Still to hard for me. Someone on here modified fuel pumps and bolted in the diaphragm, I like the idea but have jet to try it.

                        On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 3:57 PM, David Halfpenny (y) <david.halfpenny@...> wrote:

                        >  I was warned off
                        > of aluminum diaphragms because they could not be easily or cheaply
                        > soldered.

                        Has anyone tried using aluminium solder?

                        <*> Your email settings:
                           Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                           (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                           pop-pop-steamboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
                           pop-pop-steamboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        --
                        Foster
                        Tru Cut Landscapes

                      • mike.recycle
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 25, 2011
                          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny \(y\)" <david.halfpenny@...> wrote:
                          > > I was warned off
                          > > of aluminum diaphragms because they could not be easily or cheaply
                          > > soldered.
                          >
                          > Has anyone tried using aluminium solder?

                          I have ordered some Techno-Weld, here are 3 videos about it. I found the supplier here in UK via Google.

                          Mike
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 25, 2011
                            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, William Abernathy <william@...> wrote:

                            >. I
                            > honestly thought using JB Weld and aluminum can stock in this configuration was
                            > my own idea, and this is the recollection that's going to be reflected in the interview.

                            JB Weld engine from a long time back.

                          • William Abernathy
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 25, 2011
                              Well, there goes my patent application!

                              --W

                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 26, 2011
                                Didn't know about JB Weld, just checked and claimed temperature resistance is:
                                JB Weld: 500 F (260 C)
                                Techno Weld: 716 F (380 C)
                                So JB Weld looks not bad, for an epoxy,
                                JB Weld Kwik has allegedly about half that heat resistance.