Cellphones as remote control devices for pop-pop boats

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 21, 2011

      This is the text of an email message I dispatched to the Blink Gear company
      "Do you have any kind of Wifi to RC equipment for remote control of toy sailboats?
      No throttle control or video transmission would be required, just something kids could use to steer sailboats. Another application might be steering for pop-pop steamboats. Refer to friend Google for information about toy boats with the simplest of all steam engines, because there isn't anything simpler than a steam engine with no moving parts to break or wear out. There is a Yahoo discussion group called pop-pop steamboats where joining does not require the permission of a moderator."

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 21, 2011
        Most cell phones have bluetooth capability. That being said, I think the cost might be more than the value of the boat itself. Also programming for the phone would be needed. One might get some custom RC tx/rx form china like is used in the below toys.

        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Remote-control-rc-mini-sub-jet-speed-boat-toy-/250875826641?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item3a695d51d1

        http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Can-Mini-RC-Radio-Remote-Control-Micro-Racing-Car-/190566235436?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item2c5ea1fd2c

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 22, 2011
          I agree, there are many cheaper alternatives to a cell phone controlled RC Pop-Pops. The cell scheme is more for the experimentor or someone who wants to do it because they can.

          In my mind I can spicture someone flying an RC plane via a cell when the phone rings. You answer the phone as you watch your RC fly off into the sunset.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 22, 2011
            We are discussing wifi control of pop-pop boats Pete and they don't fly as far as I know.

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 22, 2011

              Flying pop-pop

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 22, 2011
                Hi Pete,
                I asked my school teacher daughter how many of her sixth grade
                students have cellphones. Her reply was that all of them do. I didn't
                ask how many of them have pop-pop boats, but think my question would
                probably been answered with a question, What is a pop-pop boat?
                Old Frank

                --
                If you have a skeleton in your closet, take it out and dance with it.
                -- Carolyn MacKenzie
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 22, 2011
                  But will all of those cell phones work for controlling RC?
                  How advanced they have to be for that?  Mine is really basic.

                  motleyjustmotleynothingbutmotley

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 22, 2011
                    Hi Frank,

                    I don't know about you but I think that it's sad that Our Society has to be "wired" at such an early age. Our grandkids, 5 & 8 don't have cell phones and aren't allowed to watch TV more than 1 hour per day. Our son and his wife have read to them daily since they were a year old. They both read full books by themselves. Because people use technology for doing just about everything many have lost the powers of rational thinking, common sense and the ability to communicate face to face. They text for just about all communications. Dial a bank on a phone and you have to walk through 5 or 6 menus B4 you can talk to a real person.

                    The advertising for all of the geewhiz electronics has created a monster. People will wait in line for hours to have the latest I-pad. If they wait more than a few seconds at a green light they are on their horn! Sorry for the soap box but overuse of technology is a pet peeve of mine even though it was my livlihood for the past 25 years.

                    Pete

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 23, 2011
                      Hi Motley,

                      Go to http://blinkgear.com/products.html for information about what is probably the cheapest WiFi to RC receiver. I sent emails to two companies that sell this kind of stuff to suggest that there would be a market for stuff that would make it possible to use cellphones to steer pop-pop boats and sailboats. No replies yet and there probably won't be any.

                      old Frank

                      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Motleyjust <motleyjust@...> wrote:

                      > But will all of those cell phones work for controlling RC?
                      > How advanced they have to be for that? Mine is really basic.
                      >

                      > motleyjustmotleynothingbutmotley

                    • Motleyjust
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 23, 2011
                        I don't have a smart phone.  I don't want any machines that are smarter than me, so I have to have a really dumb phone.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 24, 2011
                          A really dumb phone phone wouldn't be able talk Motley, and a deaf and dumb phone wouldn't be able to hear, or talk!

                        • Motleyjust
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 24, 2011
                            LOL!
                            That's OK.  The phone doesn't have to talk (or hear). I do that part.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 26, 2011
                              Hi Motley,

                              Use the words "wifi to rc receiver" for a Google search similar in some ways to throwing a net over a school of minnows.