Re: Potential POP-POP Boats: Seaworthy Small Ships at Nature Coast Hobby Shop

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 18, 2011
      Shouldn't that have been wooden pop-pop showboat?

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 20, 2011

        Hi Don,

        The three boats that you mentioned have definite possibilities for Pop-Pop designs. All three could be easily modified for a Pop-Pop engine installation. I think, however, that advertised costs would be a bit expensive for the average "bathtub sailor". I think that it was Kenneth that outlined a set of question about going into Pop-Pop manufacturing. He pretty much hits the nail on the head.

        1. What is the target market? low cost/high volume or high cost/low volume? store shelves or mail order?
        2. Product design? (based on market aimed for). kitted parts/assembly required or complete assembly/ready to run?
        3. Where produced?
        4. How much are you willing to invest/lose???

        For my money I think that it makes more sense to work with existing Pop-Pop manufacturers to see if they might be interested in a "specialty market" incorporating some of Old Frank's (materials) or Daryl's (engines) ideas and those of others. Whether you go it alone or in conjunction with others you'll have to be a great salesman!

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 20, 2011
          Hi Pete, Don and All,

          We have links to several companies that are promoting the use of cellphones as remote controllers for expensive toys with batteries, motors and wheels. By pitching pop-pop boats as cheaper and more durable entry level toys kids could could carry in their pockets, purses or back-packs and launch in pools, ponds or puddles, we might change the general perception of pop-pop boats as cheap tinplate toys with dangerous sharp edges and toxic levels of lead-based paint by promoting the use of safe materials and made in China labels. It worked for Best-Buy and Walmart, so why wouldn't it work for us?