Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] "We Need More Pop-Pop Boats"

  • kenneth@whitedenims.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 15, 2011
      The continued reference to manufacturing these neat little devices has
      prompted consideration of the matter here. As a community of folks
      knowledgeable in this specific topic:

      1. What would you - not what you would guess about someone else, but you -
      be willing to pay for a coil type putt putt boat (not the noise making
      variety)? Please indicate the desired boat length, desired boat style
      (e.g., one that looks like a racing boat, one that looks like a cruise ship,
      etc.), desired boat hull material, and any other details that you deem
      pertinent to the boat(s) that you would purchase.

      2. How many would you buy - not what you would guess about someone else,
      but you - if you the boat that you discussed in item #1 (above) were
      available?

      3. Regarding the boat's power plant, is there a detailed published
      specification for a proven putt putt engine (e.g., tube lengths, tube
      material, tube inner and outer diameter, number of turns in the coil, tube
      exit angles, etc.) that could be used commercially without violating patents
      and without the requirement of royalty payments?

      4. If the boat that you discussed in items #1 and #2 (above) were made in
      eastern USA, would you be willing to purchase the boat via a website (e.g.,
      with Paypal or by mailing a check) and pay the actual shipping cost for its
      delivery to your address?

      Obviously, these are preliminary questions that a business/manufacturer
      needs to ask prior to entering a market. Here, the questions are asked with
      the sincere interest in the possibility of addressing the market.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 15, 2011
        Hi Kenneth,
        One of my grandsons and I are waiting for some square brass tubing to arrive.
        In the files section look for a PDF with sketches and instructions for making pop-pop engines out of this type of tubing. Using stuff from a hardware store we will try to build a free standing engine similar to those sold by the Tony Green Steam company before Mr. Green died. We will probably install our engine on a wooden hull similar to those that Mr. Green sold. If that works out, we might hack a cheap R/C car or truck to rotate the engine for steering. We are not planning to manufacture anything, but might try to find somebody who owns a video camera, if the wretched thing actually works.

        Old Frank

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 21, 2011
          1) If the coil engine were high performance and well done like below with a similar style hull, then I would be interested in purchasing one as a collector. If the coil was just a simple coil, I'd just make one myself. I'd pay $50 up depending on construction quality.

          http://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/1557/ccmmay006%20(medium).jpg
          http://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/1557/ccmmay005%20(medium).jpg

          2) the quanity I would buy would depend on the quality, style and performance of the boat. To buy more than one I would have to consider it a "good deal".

          3) You will need to do your home work on that point. Designs that are older should have expired patents.

          4) I use paypal for ebay purchases and they are pretty good if a dispute arises.

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 23, 2011
            Better links to show the coil engine.

            http://web.comporium.net/~shb/pix/miss-england1.jpg

            http://web.comporium.net/~shb/pix/miss-england2.jpg