"We Need More Pop-Pop Boats"

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 15, 2011
      Hi all, I used the quotation marks, because Daryl posted something to this effect a while back. Another way to state it would be that we need more manufacturers of pop-pop boats, or kits for pop-pop boats.
      We have a link to Graham McAllister's ScaleSailing website. Graham sells kits and plans for R/C Footy sailboats that could be modified for use as pop-pop boats.
      One modification might be to use fireproof ceramic foam rather than eps foam which might melt or burn if it was used to build a pop-pop boat. We have a file with links to several sources for ceramic foams, epoxies and paint. The Cotronics company has both machinable and castable types of ceramic foam and other goodies for the semi- mass production of pop-pop boat hulls that would not rust, burn, sink--or have the sharp edges mentioned on Buzz's Boatyard website. If any of our members live in or near NYC, they might consider visiting the Cotronics company to find out if there are any Cotronics customers who might be interested in manufacturing pop-pop boats or hulls.

      Best wishes, Old Frank
    • kenneth@whitedenims.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 15, 2011
        The continued reference to manufacturing these neat little devices has
        prompted consideration of the matter here. As a community of folks
        knowledgeable in this specific topic:

        1. What would you - not what you would guess about someone else, but you -
        be willing to pay for a coil type putt putt boat (not the noise making
        variety)? Please indicate the desired boat length, desired boat style
        (e.g., one that looks like a racing boat, one that looks like a cruise ship,
        etc.), desired boat hull material, and any other details that you deem
        pertinent to the boat(s) that you would purchase.

        2. How many would you buy - not what you would guess about someone else,
        but you - if you the boat that you discussed in item #1 (above) were
        available?

        3. Regarding the boat's power plant, is there a detailed published
        specification for a proven putt putt engine (e.g., tube lengths, tube
        material, tube inner and outer diameter, number of turns in the coil, tube
        exit angles, etc.) that could be used commercially without violating patents
        and without the requirement of royalty payments?

        4. If the boat that you discussed in items #1 and #2 (above) were made in
        eastern USA, would you be willing to purchase the boat via a website (e.g.,
        with Paypal or by mailing a check) and pay the actual shipping cost for its
        delivery to your address?

        Obviously, these are preliminary questions that a business/manufacturer
        needs to ask prior to entering a market. Here, the questions are asked with
        the sincere interest in the possibility of addressing the market.

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 15, 2011
          Hi Kenneth,
          One of my grandsons and I are waiting for some square brass tubing to arrive.
          In the files section look for a PDF with sketches and instructions for making pop-pop engines out of this type of tubing. Using stuff from a hardware store we will try to build a free standing engine similar to those sold by the Tony Green Steam company before Mr. Green died. We will probably install our engine on a wooden hull similar to those that Mr. Green sold. If that works out, we might hack a cheap R/C car or truck to rotate the engine for steering. We are not planning to manufacture anything, but might try to find somebody who owns a video camera, if the wretched thing actually works.

          Old Frank

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 21, 2011
            1) If the coil engine were high performance and well done like below with a similar style hull, then I would be interested in purchasing one as a collector. If the coil was just a simple coil, I'd just make one myself. I'd pay $50 up depending on construction quality.

            http://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/1557/ccmmay006%20(medium).jpg
            http://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/1557/ccmmay005%20(medium).jpg

            2) the quanity I would buy would depend on the quality, style and performance of the boat. To buy more than one I would have to consider it a "good deal".

            3) You will need to do your home work on that point. Designs that are older should have expired patents.

            4) I use paypal for ebay purchases and they are pretty good if a dispute arises.

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 23, 2011
              Better links to show the coil engine.

              http://web.comporium.net/~shb/pix/miss-england1.jpg

              http://web.comporium.net/~shb/pix/miss-england2.jpg