Re: Spam or hacked.

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2011
      On the groups I moderate (including this one now), all new members are automatically on moderated status until they post something that shows they are legit, then we change their status to be able to post freely. Spammers who join the group just to post spam are kicked off the group with no questions asked, and their messages are deleted without ever going out to the group.

      On the few occasions where a legitimate member of one of my groups has had their email account hijacked and starts sending out spam, I simply place them back on moderated status until they get the problem resolved. Their messages still come to me (and the other moderators), but they don't get out to the group unless we approve them. I'll also send the user a private email letting them know what happened, and asking them to notify me when they have the situation under control so I can take them off moderated status and allow them to post freely again.

      Richard Jenkins