Re: Spam or hacked.

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7, 2011
      Hi Daryl et al,

      Go to http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-07/u-s-stock-index-futures-advance-as-yahoo-jumps-after-removing-ceo-bartz.html for more Yahoo related news.

      > Hi Daryl,
      >
      > This happened before when the ID of a long time member was hacked and similar stuff was posted to several Yahoo groups where I was a member at the time.
      > I was a moderator, and reacted by deleting the poor guy from the members list and reporting this on those other groups. I'm not a moderator now, so Pete will have to do whatever moderators do when a member's ID is hacked!
      >
      > Old Frank
      >
      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl" <darylcanada73@> wrote:
      > >

      > > I received an email today that listed the sender as myself, Daryl Foster aka Daryl Canada. I did not send it. It was also was sent to Bryan Finch, another forum member and to Yahoo groups and to len@traveland.$$$com Don't know who len is. The message was a link to http://godzillamotorsport.$$$com/target.php that did not take me to godzilla but rather to a what is purported to be a travel site that appears to be owned by Len at Traveland.
      > > My security said this was a suspicious site. If I go to godzilla via google, not using the link, the site seems OK.
      > > I have altered the links above by the addition of the three $ signs.
      > >
      > > I have questions. Did any of you receive this message or one like it? Do you know anything about it? It seems like it might be spam. Has Yahoo Groups been hacked to be able to do this?
      > > Hope that some of you can shed some light on this.

    • Daryl
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2011
        Thanks for the replies and helpfull information. I appreciate it.
      • Richard
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2011
          On the groups I moderate (including this one now), all new members are automatically on moderated status until they post something that shows they are legit, then we change their status to be able to post freely. Spammers who join the group just to post spam are kicked off the group with no questions asked, and their messages are deleted without ever going out to the group.

          On the few occasions where a legitimate member of one of my groups has had their email account hijacked and starts sending out spam, I simply place them back on moderated status until they get the problem resolved. Their messages still come to me (and the other moderators), but they don't get out to the group unless we approve them. I'll also send the user a private email letting them know what happened, and asking them to notify me when they have the situation under control so I can take them off moderated status and allow them to post freely again.

          Richard Jenkins