Re: Spam or hacked.

  • Mike OBrien
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7, 2011
      I did not receive any emails from you - but I would start by changing your password - NOW!

      Mike O'Brien
      734-637-2532
    • Millington, Gavin
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 7, 2011

        Sounds like SPAM to me. If a spammer is a member of this groups they receive our email address, this maybe how they got your address.
        As for sending an email to appear as if it was sent by you to you. A good analogy is sending a post card.
        The post card can be posted into a public post box on any street corner and no one checks the sender is the person appearing after the FROM at the bottom of the card.
        However, the postcard is delivered to an address, which is behind a locked door, your house front door, which only you have the key.

        Back to the Emails.
        An email is send by logging into a public server and one of the data fields is the 'send by', no checks are made to who is sending the email. However spam can be removed by you provider if no password was used during this process.
        So the sender does not have to hack into your email to send an email. See http://www.wikihow.com/Send-Email-Using-Telnet if you want to see how easy it is.

        I'd not worry about receiving these type of emails, but never click any links they send in the email as they will frequently send you to a different web page than that appearing in the email.

        Changing your password is a good idea anyway, if you've got spam or not.

        Gav.
        O, there goes my email address again.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 7, 2011
          Hi Daryl,

          This happened before when the ID of a long time member was hacked and similar stuff was posted to several Yahoo groups where I was a member at the time.
          I was a moderator, and reacted by deleting the poor guy from the members list and reporting this on those other groups. I'm not a moderator now, so Pete will have to do whatever moderators do when a member's ID is hacked!

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 7, 2011
            Hi Daryl et al,

            Go to http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-07/u-s-stock-index-futures-advance-as-yahoo-jumps-after-removing-ceo-bartz.html for more Yahoo related news.

            > Hi Daryl,
            >
            > This happened before when the ID of a long time member was hacked and similar stuff was posted to several Yahoo groups where I was a member at the time.
            > I was a moderator, and reacted by deleting the poor guy from the members list and reporting this on those other groups. I'm not a moderator now, so Pete will have to do whatever moderators do when a member's ID is hacked!
            >
            > Old Frank
            >
            > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl" <darylcanada73@> wrote:
            > >

            > > I received an email today that listed the sender as myself, Daryl Foster aka Daryl Canada. I did not send it. It was also was sent to Bryan Finch, another forum member and to Yahoo groups and to len@traveland.$$$com Don't know who len is. The message was a link to http://godzillamotorsport.$$$com/target.php that did not take me to godzilla but rather to a what is purported to be a travel site that appears to be owned by Len at Traveland.
            > > My security said this was a suspicious site. If I go to godzilla via google, not using the link, the site seems OK.
            > > I have altered the links above by the addition of the three $ signs.
            > >
            > > I have questions. Did any of you receive this message or one like it? Do you know anything about it? It seems like it might be spam. Has Yahoo Groups been hacked to be able to do this?
            > > Hope that some of you can shed some light on this.

          • Daryl
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8, 2011
              Thanks for the replies and helpfull information. I appreciate it.
            • Richard
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 8, 2011
                On the groups I moderate (including this one now), all new members are automatically on moderated status until they post something that shows they are legit, then we change their status to be able to post freely. Spammers who join the group just to post spam are kicked off the group with no questions asked, and their messages are deleted without ever going out to the group.

                On the few occasions where a legitimate member of one of my groups has had their email account hijacked and starts sending out spam, I simply place them back on moderated status until they get the problem resolved. Their messages still come to me (and the other moderators), but they don't get out to the group unless we approve them. I'll also send the user a private email letting them know what happened, and asking them to notify me when they have the situation under control so I can take them off moderated status and allow them to post freely again.

                Richard Jenkins