We need to find somebody who might be interested in manufacturing radio controllable pop-pop boats!

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 11, 2006

      Do any of you have friends or relatives who either manufacture toys, or know somebody who does?
      I reviewed my short list of friends and relatives and discovered that most of them are either dead, or well along in the process of getting that way!

      Best wishes, old Frank
    • Faisal Nadeem Awan
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 12, 2006
        Hi Frank, Hi All!

        I'd been enjoying reading posts in this group all the time :)

        I am an Electronics Engineer, and as I'd told you in my early days with the group, I'm working for Motorola LTD. I am capable of making Radio controlled pop-pop boats but as you mentioned "interested" deliberately in the subject line, I might not be interested because of the so much work load from my company. However, if someone is interested in making such boats, he/she may seek guidance from me. I'll be pleased with that.

        Keep writing all. Its really nice to read your posts. And its also very nice to see that the group is quite active now as compared to the early days when just Frank used to give this group "a kiss of life" and all others used to listen :)

        Take care.

        --
        Faisal.

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 12, 2006
          Hi Faisal,

          Instead of "somebody", I should have written "some factory owner,"
          because radio controllable pop-pop boats would not be a good first
          product for a fledgling company to start with. If you know anybody who
          is manufacturing metal products or mechanical stuff for export
          markets, please tell them about the group and offer to help if they
          don't know much about the radio control systems that model builders use.

          Best wishes, Frank

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Faisal Nadeem Awan
          <efaisalawan@...> wrote:

          > Hi Frank, Hi All!
          >
          > I'd been enjoying reading posts in this group all the time :)

        • Len
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 12, 2006
            <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

            > Hi Faisal,
            >
            > Instead of "somebody", I should have written "some factory owner,"
            > because radio controllable pop-pop boats would not be a good first
            > product for a fledgling company to start with. If you know anybody who
            > is manufacturing metal products or mechanical stuff for export
            > markets, please tell them about the group and offer to help if they
            > don't know much about the radio control systems that model builders use.
            >
            > Best wishes, Frank
            >
            > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Faisal Nadeem Awan
            > <efaisalawan@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Frank, Hi All!

            > > I'd been enjoying reading posts in this group all the time :)

            Gees frank ... What did I get myself into ? I joined up and started to
            read some of the content and hey! there are some clever dicks here <G>
            Now I saw the Pop Pop boats and yeah just like the buddy had and sold
            here recently . I beleieve there was a saftey concern so he stopped
            importing BUT . I know how to promote and sell stuff but I can't
            manufacture<G> I'll keep reading and see if there is a niche here
            where i may be able to assist . When i saw the header i thought yeah
            gotta be able to do something here so I'l keep reading .

            My last radio controlled purchase i bought in 1989 and just sold it as
            it was the greatest radio controlled scaled racer I'd always wanted
            BUT ... Instructions were in Japanese and well . I traded some wedding
            photos for a japanese lady to interp for me as a trade BUT she took
            the photos and never came back <G> SOLD it on e-bay to some guy in
            france ...
            Back soon
            The aussie
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 12, 2006

              :)

              It looks like we have the beginnings of a plan. I agree with Frank that a basic pop-pop is the most realistic to pursue. It appears that the CLERMONT is the platform. Although I am pleased because of my interests in the Fulton steamboat I don't want anyone to feel that they are being forced into it. Here, in NY, we are preparing for a Fulton Bicentennial in August of 2007. There is also a larger Hudson-Fulton-Champlain Quadricentennial scheduled for 2009.

              July 4, 2006

              Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton has reintroduced legislation that would establish the Champlain Quadricentennial Commission and the Hudson-Fulton 400 th Commemoration Commission. The legislation represents a consensus between both the House and Senate versions of the bill.

              " New York has a proud legacy of leadership in innovation, exploration and ingenuity and these voyages are very symbolic of our important place in America's history", said Clinton.

              2009 will mark the 400 th anniversary of the voyage of Henry Hudson, the first European to sail up the Hudson River, and the 400 th anniversary of the voyage of Samuel de Champlain, the first European to discover and explore Lake Champlain. The year will also mark the 200 th anniversary of the voyage of Robert Fulton, the first person to use steam navigation on a commercial basis.

              The commissions will facilitate Hudson-Fulton-Champlain related activities throughout New York and the United States. The focus will be on heritage tourism and appropriate economic development.

              A CLERMONT pop-pop ties nicely into both of these events.

              Where do we go from here? I think that the brainstorming part of the project is pretty much complete. We need to decide on a viable design and how it will be financed. Again, Frank's idea of finding an interested manufacturer is the place to start. They can guide us in the design details from a tin workers point of view. They can also give us estimates on production costs and therefore the investments needed. From my non-expert point of view we need:

              • a basic conceptual design
              • an interested manufacturer
              • a marketing/distribution plan
              • $$$$$
              • a finalized design & plan based on the above 4
              • a go/no go decision

              Do we have a genuine interest in pursuing? ANY THOUGHTS?

              I personally will continue to play around with a design based on Matt Sparks's paper model. It will perhaps be at 1-1/2 to 2 times the scale of Matt's to account for the engine. I have most of the design as thoughts at present, which I need to get on "paper". The biggest challenge is getting durable graphics on the base materials used. Printing on a self adhesive vinyl with permanent ink seems to be the way to go fo one or two boats. More later...

              Pete (Just off the Hudson)

              > Hi Faisal,
              >
              > Instead of "somebody", I should have written "some factory owner,"
              > because radio controllable pop-pop boats would not be a good first
              > product for a fledgling company to start with. If you know anybody who
              > is manufacturing metal products or mechanical stuff for export
              > markets, please tell them about the group and offer to help if they
              > don't know much about the radio control systems that model builders use.
              >
              > Best wishes, Frank
              >
              > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Faisal Nadeem Awan
              > efaisalawan@ wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Frank, Hi All!
              > >
              > > I'd been enjoying reading posts in this group all the time :)

            • WDSmith
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 12, 2006
                You noticed that too?
                Worst part is that it isn't all old codgers around here.
                Six under 40 in the past six months!
                wds

                Frank McNeill wrote:
                Hi All,

                Do any of you have friends or relatives who either manufacture toys, or know somebody who does?
                I reviewed my short list of friends and relatives and discovered that most of them are either dead, or well along in the process of getting that way!

                Best wishes, old Frank

              • Len Phillips
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 12, 2006
                  Message
                  G'Day Peter .... I'm a newie here and no where near as clever as you fellas BUT I know a bit about what you can print on etc . Printing on vinyl and then sticking  it on is dead as you can print directly to anything these days . Flat bed printers and just print, so metal glass timber cardboard acrylic sheet etc and so it goes on .
                  Costing is yes the consideration and volume gets cost down ...

                  Manufacture is cheap in China BUT they copy everything - however just how many people will want to buy a "steam boat " ..... ? I'll read your blurg more closely soon and see if I'm on the right track. This 400th centenary could give you an opening to use the image of the ship for t-shirts and all sorts of marketing opportunities .. Even on silk ties for the guys and silk scarves for the girls and then of cource the hard model for whoever ... Place matts and mugs etc etc and then you have sublimation printing and the world is wide open ... That's anything polyester...........

                  have fun and hey blame Frank for getting me going ...
                  Cheers
                  Len
                  Len ( the aussie)
                  Art Marketing and Sales Concepts.
                  Products for anything Large Format .. Publishing ..
                  Travel Tag Along Adventures ... world wide.
                  www.travelandpix.com   the passion
                  www.artreproductions.com.au  this started it all

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 13, 2006

                    Good Morning Len,

                    Welcome to the discussion. Don’t under estimate yourself. We all have our own little niche.

                    The graphics on vinyl would only be used on prototypes. If you read some of the older post the concern is if soldering were used to assemble the graphics would be burned. If we get down the road, printing directly on the substrate would be the only way to go.

                    For the immediate, I plan to enlarge the scale of Matt’s paper model, trace it onto a roll of aluminum flashing that I have and then tin snip out the pieces. I will most likely use some type of super glue and tabs and slots for construction. The hull seams will be silicone sealed. I haven’t quite figured out the engine yet. I may need input on that once I have a size chosen. There are ready made pop-pop engines commercially available. I’ll most likely buy a packet to experiment. I’ll keep the group updated as I go.

                    The pop-pop steamboat has been around for years. They come in all shapes sizes and colors. If they can sell a Titantic version there is no reason to believe that the CLERMONT couldn’t be added to the mix.

                     It’s definitely a specialty market. With the right marketing placement in museum gift shops, mail order toy catalogs and maritime focused gift shops along the shores would make it a go.

                    As for the merchandising of other products; I think that there will be more than enough of the commercial enterprises out there barking their ware. The mass marketing of most items would put the small vendor at a disadvantage. There should be opportunities for a unique “Commemorative” pop-pop, at least up and down the Hudson Valley . More later…

                    Pete

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 13, 2006
                      Message
                      G'day Pete .... Mate I shall have to read up and look up the Pop Pops ......used to love it as a kid so why not with the modern techo stuff about ? geees I could get a new lease on life <G>

                      I shall go dig and if there is a link to pop pop products then please shoot it over and I'll check it out ..
                      cheers
                      Len
                      Welcome to the discussion. Don’t under estimate yourself. We all have our own little niche.

                      The graphics on vinyl would only be used on prototypes. If you read some of the older post the concern is if soldering were used to assemble the graphics would be burned. If we get down the road, printing directly on the substrate would be the only way to go.

                      SNIP >

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 13, 2006
                          Message
                          gees Frank .... Just had a look at the links quickly and wow! gotta be some fun there ....

                          I'll check with my buddy and see where he bought his from and for how much etc ... Also what the local safety rules were that caused concerns ...

                          Yeah life's good
                          Len ( the aussie )
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 14, 2006

                            Len,

                            Frank is the answer man. The rest of us just try to help him out!

                            In case you're ambitious and want to make instead of buy I've uploaded 3 POP-POP Plans. They are of different degrees of difficulty (mostly in the tin snipping). I personally like Plan 3. I also uploaded a jpeg of the POP-POP Titanic. You mentioned the market for "Steamboats". A CLERMONT would perhaps be in the same market as this Titanic.

                            My wife would love to win a trip to Australia. If she does we'll be sure to look you up.

                            Pete

                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

                            - Dr. Seuss. American author, artist, and publisher 1904-1991

                            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <winho@...> wrote:

                            > gees Frank .... Just had a look at the links quickly and wow! gotta be
                            > some fun there ....
                            >
                            > I'll check with my buddy and see where he bought his from and for how
                            > much etc ... Also what the local safety rules were that caused concerns
                            >
                            > Yeah life's good
                            > Len ( the aussie )

                          • Len Phillips
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 14, 2006
                              Message
                              Thanks Pete I'll go have a look ..... No I don't think I want to make a tinnie <G>

                              I would like to see if we could pull an acrylic off the shape but geees why not use the Indian machines PLUS the cheap labour and make a profit on someone elses labours ? seems to be the way in the world these days ....

                              Now easy to get to OZ ... flights are cheap and you just come.... need plenty of time as we are kinda spread out and it takes time to get about <G>  But geees times on our side isn't it ?

                              Cheers
                              Len ( the aussie )

                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 14, 2006
                                Message
                                Peter ... Didn't find the file ? Maybe I'm just not doing it correctly .... nothing new here <G>

                                can you send it directly so I get it ... thank you

                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 14, 2006
                                  Hi Len,

                                  Look in the links section. where there's a link titled
                                  "build a pop-pop boat." There are links of this kind
                                  in the Pop-Pop Pages too.

                                  Best wishes, Frank

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 14, 2006
                                    Len,

                                    A quick note. Go into "FILES". Scroll down to the "P's" and you'll
                                    see PLAN 2, PLAN 1 & PLAN 3 then POP-POP Titanic. Those are the
                                    files.

                                    <winho@...> wrote:

                                    > Peter ... Didn't find the file ? Maybe I'm just not doing it
                                    correctly
                                    > .... nothing new here <G>
                                    >
                                    > can you send it directly so I get it ... thank you
                                    >
                                    > Len
                                    > winho@...

                                  • Len Phillips
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 14, 2006
                                      Gees Frank you have been a busy boy with those links <G> I'm slowly
                                      making head way ..... cheers