Potential Alternative to Radio Control

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011

      I just added a link titled "Sentek Solutions" to a company that has apparently developed a short-range option to radio transmissions for remote control.
      There was a time when lanterns with color filters were used as an option to semaphore flags. Does anybody know of other options for remote control of pop-pop boats?

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
        A significant fraction of "living room flier" remote control airplanes
        and helicopters use infrared (like a TV remote) instead of radio for
        their control. It works as well or better inside about fifty feet,
        especially indoors where scatters off walls and ceiling can even carry
        commands around corners, and can work on line of sight up to several
        hundred feet (as for instance on the surface of a pond). The boat would
        have to have an omnidirectional IR detector, preferably on a mast, but
        that's not hard to arrange.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
          Hi Donald,

          I've used Google to search for messages transmitted via "Sonar" normally used for locating submarines, and more recently schools of fish. It has also been used to transmit messages, but so far I haven't found references to use for remote control, which would be a good remote control method for pop-pop boats.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
            Frank McNeill wrote:
            > Hi Donald,
            >
            > I've used Google to search for messages transmitted via "Sonar"
            > normally used for locating submarines, and more recently schools of
            > fish. It has also been used to transmit messages, but so far I
            > haven't found references to use for remote control, which would be a
            > good remote control method for pop-pop boats.

            Any submariner can probably tell you about the "Gertrude", a simple
            voice-frequency sonar telephone. Take voice from a microphone, amplify
            it, and play it through a hydrophone (an underwater speaker), either
            directionally or broadcast as suits your need. The other sub (or
            surface ship) uses their sonar set's hydrophones to detect and play the
            sound through a speaker inboard; switch from receive to transmit with a
            simple switch, as on a radio. As a "bonus", anyone swimming in the
            water can hear the transmission directly, just as they can hear a sonar
            ping. And most of us are old enough to remember the old RCA Space
            Command remote control TVs -- they used what amounted to tuning forks to
            send the commands from the hand unit to the TV (big step up from aiming
            a flashlight at the four corners of the set, but no competition for
            infrared pulse code).

            One problem with using sound waves for control is lag -- even in water,
            where the speed of sound is a couple times what it is in air, by the
            time your boat is fifty yards away, you'll have enough lag in the
            controls to mess with your reflexes. Likely not a big problem for
            slow-moving pop-pop, but I wouldn't consider trying to control a
            hydroplane by sound. Not to mention the second big problem (another one
            submariners, at least those who worked around the sonar department, are
            likely to remember): the faster you move through water, the more noise
            the water makes flowing around your hull. A hydroplane couldn't begin
            to hear the controller unless it was loud enough to deafen the ducks on
            the pond. No, pop-pops aren't that noisy (and certainly not that fast),
            but I suspect the "clang" overtones of a diaphragm, transmitted through
            the metal hull of the boat or the water in the pipes, would interfere
            very badly with an ultrasonic (i.e. not heinously annoying) control,
            unless it was loud enough to set off every dog in the neighborhood if
            you pulled the controller out of the water.