Copper Coil boat

  • William Abernathy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2011
      I'm test-benching a copper coil-type boiler and getting mixed results. I have a
      1/8" (3 mm) tube wrapped 2 1/2 times around a 5/8" (16 mm) mandrel. I'm using a
      denatured alcohol flame. Standard-issue tap water.

      I get an initial flow out of the pipes as the water expands and any residual
      water from priming the motor boils off. Enough to propel any boat that should
      come along, but not a robust demonstration of oscillating steam pistons!
      Eventually, the engine springs to life, splashing water out of the pipes (and
      out of the pan and onto the counter - Yay!) but this proper demonstration of
      pop-pop fundamentals lasts no longer than a second or two, and the engine falls
      back into listlessness, with no apparent rhyme or reason.

      Does anyone have good guidance or instructions for troubleshooting these wee
      beasts?
      --
      William Abernathy
      Berkeley, CA

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2011
          If you have a picture of your engine or a link showing the particular design, that might provide clues to what the issue might be. once completely filled the tubing needs to be kept totally full until the tube ends are under water (air in the engine can cause problems). If you are heating all of the coil area, that might cause dryout and the failure of the engine to run.