Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: WARNING!!!

  • John Clonts
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2011
      What does a 50,000 HP engine look like?  What is an example of application?  (Steamship?)

      Thanks!
      John

      On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 3:21 PM, papypp44 <papypp44@...> wrote:
      I worked for 15 years in the design office of one of the biggest engine manufacturers and then I used to work with big engines from this builder and from the competitors. When I say big engines, I mean between 1000 and 50,000HP. Several times I read papers or I
    • Jean-Yves Renaud
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2011
        The biggest diesel engine I know (but I've not seen it) is the Wärtsilä-Sulzer RTA96. More than 100,000hp in the 14 cylinder version. 2300 tons. Length 27m (89ft). Height 13.5m (44ft).
        Big engines are used maily for ship propulsion and as prime mover for electrical power plants.
        The efficiency of big diesel engines is around 50%.

        The first engine I saw when I entered in this business (in 1971) was a 12 cylinders in line from Burmeister & Wein (today MAN). Bore: 840mm. Stroke: approx 3m. I was impressed by the size and by some other data such as for instance its idling speed: 17rpm.

        Steamships are very rare today because of the poor efficiency of a steam turbine: approx 30%. However, steam turbines are still used to recover power from the exhaust gas of diesel engines or gas turbines, and thus improving the global efficiency.

        Le 01/07/2011 22:58, John Clonts a écrit :

        What does a 50,000 HP engine look like?  What is an example of application?  (Steamship?)

        Thanks!
        John

        On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 3:21 PM, papypp44 <papypp44@...> wrote:
        I worked for 15 years in the design office of one of the biggest engine manufacturers and then I used to work with big engines from this builder and from the competitors. When I say big engines, I mean between 1000 and 50,000HP. Several times I read papers or I

      • papypp44
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2011
          I've just seen on internet that there is a strongest engine. It is from MAN-B&W. 115,000hp.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2011