Re: Aluminum diaphragm thickness

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2011
      The below is a more conventional engine design from aluminum, but it doesn't seem to be producing a lot of thrust.

      http://www.lejardindekiran.com/construire-un-bateau-pop-pop-modele-deluxe/

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, William Abernathy <william@...> wrote:

      > I've successfully built a boat using a section of copper pipe cap and a brass
      > diaphragm of .003" thickness for the boiler and diaphragm. I would like to
      > develop and document a design from cheaper materials. I have seen the design on
      > line (http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/boat/index.htm) that uses soda straws and a
      > folded-over aluminum can for a boiler. Has anyone had much success using
      > aluminum can stock for a more classic pop-pop boiler design (i.e., spanning the
      > boiler, and soldered down around the edges?
      >
      > Basically, I want a design that pops but does not require speccing .003" brass
      > sheet, which, as you well know, is not nearly so easy to find in small
      > quantities as aluminum soda cans!
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > --
      > William Abernathy
      > Berkeley, CA
      > http://yourwritereditor.com

    • Motleyjust
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2011
        Brass sheet metal in various thicknesses (from shim brass on up) can also be found in hobby shops.

        motleyjustmotleynothingbutmotley

        > sheet, which, as you well know, is not nearly so easy to find in small
        > quantities as aluminum soda cans!

        It's moderately easy to find as "tooling foil" sold in art shops for
        cardmaking and scrapbooking.

        David 1/2d
        England