RE: [pop-pop-steamboats] Aluminum diaphragm thickness

  • Slater Harrison
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2011

      William,

      The problem is that special solder that sticks to aluminum is more exotic and harder to find than brass sheet.

      I use epoxy (for the ones you alluded to at sciencetoymaker) and that only seals because of the folding. I used to make the more traditional ones, both soldered and with epoxy but there were always leak headaches

      Slater

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2011
        > sheet, which, as you well know, is not nearly so easy to find in small
        > quantities as aluminum soda cans!

        It's moderately easy to find as "tooling foil" sold in art shops for
        cardmaking and scrapbooking.

        David 1/2d
        England
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2011
          The below is a more conventional engine design from aluminum, but it doesn't seem to be producing a lot of thrust.

          http://www.lejardindekiran.com/construire-un-bateau-pop-pop-modele-deluxe/

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, William Abernathy <william@...> wrote:

          > I've successfully built a boat using a section of copper pipe cap and a brass
          > diaphragm of .003" thickness for the boiler and diaphragm. I would like to
          > develop and document a design from cheaper materials. I have seen the design on
          > line (http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/boat/index.htm) that uses soda straws and a
          > folded-over aluminum can for a boiler. Has anyone had much success using
          > aluminum can stock for a more classic pop-pop boiler design (i.e., spanning the
          > boiler, and soldered down around the edges?
          >
          > Basically, I want a design that pops but does not require speccing .003" brass
          > sheet, which, as you well know, is not nearly so easy to find in small
          > quantities as aluminum soda cans!
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > --
          > William Abernathy
          > Berkeley, CA
          > http://yourwritereditor.com

        • Motleyjust
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2011
            Brass sheet metal in various thicknesses (from shim brass on up) can also be found in hobby shops.

            motleyjustmotleynothingbutmotley