Aluminum diaphragm thickness

  • William Abernathy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2011
      I've successfully built a boat using a section of copper pipe cap and a brass
      diaphragm of .003" thickness for the boiler and diaphragm. I would like to
      develop and document a design from cheaper materials. I have seen the design on
      line (http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/boat/index.htm) that uses soda straws and a
      folded-over aluminum can for a boiler. Has anyone had much success using
      aluminum can stock for a more classic pop-pop boiler design (i.e., spanning the
      boiler, and soldered down around the edges?

      Basically, I want a design that pops but does not require speccing .003" brass
      sheet, which, as you well know, is not nearly so easy to find in small
      quantities as aluminum soda cans!

      Thanks,

      --
      William Abernathy
      Berkeley, CA
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2011

        William,

        The problem is that special solder that sticks to aluminum is more exotic and harder to find than brass sheet.

        I use epoxy (for the ones you alluded to at sciencetoymaker) and that only seals because of the folding. I used to make the more traditional ones, both soldered and with epoxy but there were always leak headaches

        Slater

[...]

        This message, together with any attachments, may contain information which is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message, along with any attachments.

      • David Halfpenny (y)
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2011
          > sheet, which, as you well know, is not nearly so easy to find in small
          > quantities as aluminum soda cans!

          It's moderately easy to find as "tooling foil" sold in art shops for
          cardmaking and scrapbooking.

          David 1/2d
          England
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2011
            The below is a more conventional engine design from aluminum, but it doesn't seem to be producing a lot of thrust.

            http://www.lejardindekiran.com/construire-un-bateau-pop-pop-modele-deluxe/

            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, William Abernathy <william@...> wrote:

            > I've successfully built a boat using a section of copper pipe cap and a brass
            > diaphragm of .003" thickness for the boiler and diaphragm. I would like to
            > develop and document a design from cheaper materials. I have seen the design on
            > line (http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/boat/index.htm) that uses soda straws and a
            > folded-over aluminum can for a boiler. Has anyone had much success using
            > aluminum can stock for a more classic pop-pop boiler design (i.e., spanning the
            > boiler, and soldered down around the edges?
            >
            > Basically, I want a design that pops but does not require speccing .003" brass
            > sheet, which, as you well know, is not nearly so easy to find in small
            > quantities as aluminum soda cans!
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > --
            > William Abernathy
            > Berkeley, CA
            > http://yourwritereditor.com

          • Motleyjust
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 7, 2011
              Brass sheet metal in various thicknesses (from shim brass on up) can also be found in hobby shops.

              motleyjustmotleynothingbutmotley