exergia not energia

  • Matthew Sparks - McClatchy Corporate
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 6, 2006
      go to
      click on the right on steam engines
      then scroll down the page to the
      Repulsion Steam boat - 13 pounds british... (at least I think thats what that little symbol means - might actually mean Euros now that I think about it....)

      Heres the text

      Steamer - Repulsion Steam Boat

      What at first sight looks very toy-like, is in fact a very clever physical system: The main driving mechanism consists of a small boiler and two connected pipes. With a pipette put a small amount of water into the boiler, light the candle (pipette and 3 candles included) and put the boat on the surface of a bath of water, garden pond, etc. As the water boils, the steam escapes through the two pipes; the resulting reaction force pushes the boat along. When the boiler runs out of water, the condensation of steam in the pipes creates a negative pressure that sucks fresh water back into the boiler and starts the cycle again. A great example of the self-stabilization of oscillating systems.

      Matthew Sparks
      McClatchy Newspapers

      Desk (916) 321-1887
      Cel (916) 825-3880
      Fax (916 321-1879

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2006
        Hi Matt,

        I took a look at the Exergia boat. It's an ordinary pop-pop boat, same boiler with two tubes.
        The only difference is that it is cruder and uglier than most of the pop-pop boats sold by
        Buzz's Boatyard and other vendors of pop-pop boats made mostly by Rattandeep Enterprise company in Delhi, India. I don't know where Exergia got this one, but they need to find another manufacturer.

        Best wishes, Frank

        On 11/6/06, Matthew Sparks - McClatchy Corporate <msparks@...> wrote:

[...]

      • caedave
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 7, 2006
          Yes, it is euro's so that's about a tenner UK and 7USD
          dependent on what they add for p&p and exchange.

          Dave M.

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2006
            Hi Dave,

            According to my handy-dandy little Google converter, one euro is currently worth 1.2765 US dollars, so that exergia pop-pop boat would cost 16.5945 dollars— just a rough estimate I worked out in my head of course! :-)

            Best wishes, old Frank

            On 11/7/06, caedave <caedave@...> wrote:

            Yes, it is euro's so that's about a tenner UK and 7USD
            dependent on what they add for p&p and exchange.

            Dave M.
            Repulsion Steam boat - 13 pounds british... (at least I think thats what that little symbol means - might actually mean Euros now that I think about it....)

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          • caedave
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 7, 2006
              Aaaar  did my dollar convert backwards.  Silly old me.

              Dave M.

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 7, 2006
                  On there prices, I took a good look at the site and it's all aimed
                  at education (having been there and done that) so up goes the price.

                  Silly really, these go up and proper stuff  like CAD software goes down.

                  In education you can have one seat of the latest AutoCAD (Normally £4000+)
                  for what these people charge for there Stirling Engine.

                  Dave M.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 7, 2006

                    Frank & all,

                    Thanks for the pat on the back. You're the one who most desrves it.

                    I don't believe that for a minute. The way things are going it will be Chinese "PLASTIC". How many transactions take place each day without actual cash changing hands?

                    As to the R/C CLERMONT:

                    At this point you know almost as much as I do. I was contacted by the builder indirectly the "sleeping" Saugerties Fulton Steamboat Foundation's Website. I went into the E-mail system and had all E-mails forwarded to my Hotmail Acct. I have rec'd approx a dozen E-mails so far, all of which I have personally answered. The CLERMONT builder asked for drawings etc. which I have sent him. I keep you posted as i learn more.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 7, 2006
                      Hi Pete & all,

                      You're probably right about the plastic, because Chinese manufacturers have learned how to make plastic out of bamboo. If you see a few typos, it might be because I'm currently engaged in a boom box battle with the black folks downstairs, who play gangsta-rap-crap 24-7. When it gets loud enough to shake the floor I retaliate with a stack of classical masterpieces. At the moment the 1812 Overture is approaching the point where they orginally fired cannons onstage! I started practicing this strategy on a pair of rednecks who lived there several years ago, after reading about a McDonalds drive in that started blasting classics outside to break up congregations of teenagers that used the parking lot as a place for their get-togethers. It seems to be working, because I don't hear the gangsta-rap boom booms any more, possibly as a result of the synthesized cannon fire.

                      Best wishes to all, old suddenly gone deaf Frank

                      On 11/7/06, Pete B. <georgeyyy@... > wrote:

                      Frank & all,

                      Thanks for the pat on the back. You're the one who most desrves it.

                      I don't believe that for a minute. The way things are going it will be Chinese "PLASTIC". How many transactions take place each day without actual cash changing hands?

                      As to the R/C CLERMONT:

                      At this point you know almost as much as I do. I was contacted by the builder indirectly the "sleeping" Saugerties Fulton Steamboat Foundation's Website. I went into the E-mail system and had all E-mails forwarded to my Hotmail Acct. I have rec'd approx a dozen E-mails so far, all of which I have personally answered. The CLERMONT builder asked for drawings etc. which I have sent him. I keep you posted as i learn more.

                      Pete

                    • James or Carmen Dugan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 8, 2006
                        Posted by: "Frank McNeill" frankmcneilll@... frankmcneilll
                        Snip...

                        > I'm currently engaged in a boom box battle with the black folks
                        > downstairs, who play gangsta-rap-crap 24-7. When it gets loud enough to
                        > shake the floor I retaliate with a stack of classical masterpieces. At the
                        > moment the 1812 Overture is approaching the point where they orginally fired
                        > cannons onstage! I started practicing this strategy on a pair of rednecks
                        > who lived there several years ago, after reading about a McDonalds drive in
                        > that started blasting classics outside to break up congregations of
                        > teenagers that used the parking lot as a place for their get-togethers. It
                        > seems to be working, because I don't hear the gangsta-rap boom booms any
                        > more, possibly as a result of the synthesized cannon fire.

                        Heh.....

                        > Best wishes to all, old suddenly gone deaf Frank

                        I have a house in the suburbs, and I've found that working outside with
                        the AM blasting Rush Limbaugh or Hannity also works...fewer 'gangsta's'
                        and they stick around less time with the two dope-smokin' teenagers that
                        live next door. Their mom doesn't seem to see it, I sure can SMELL it.
                        I've already been in one shouting match with their mom, expects me to
                        tell her, and NOT call the police....t'ain't gonna happen that way.
                        :-)

                        The rest of the neighbourhood seems fine, but *I* have the local
                        schmucks next to me...
                        ;/