Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Steel can pop pop engine?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4 2:17 PM
      zoomkat wrote:
      > Does any body know of commonly available drink cans with dished
      > bottoms that are made of steel instead of aluminum?

      I recall running across drawn cans that looked like aluminum, but were
      magnetic, back in the 1980s, but I haven't seen any like that since 1990
      or so. There was a short period when the material cost difference made
      steel more attractive, even though the can weighed twice as much empty,
      but advances in the drawing and ironing process allowed use of less and
      less metal in the aluminum cans, while steel could only be drawn about
      half as thin (which uses around four times the material, by weight, and
      still costs just as much for the drawing as making the much thinner
      aluminum cans).

      The one possible exception I know of is soup cans -- the ones with a
      pull-tab top /may/ be steel (they used to be), but the dished bottom is
      pretty shallow, and I'm not sure those haven't converted to 100% aluminum.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5 5:47 AM
        To find pictures of cans, cannons, candelabra or Canada, search with Google Images.