Steel can pop pop engine?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2011
      Does any body know of commonly available drink cans with dished bottoms that are made of steel instead of aluminum? The below steel can engine is interesting, also the epoxy aluminun can engine below it. I'll have to carry a magnet to the store to see if some imported drink cans are made of steel. Deoderant, spray paint, etc. have the dished bottoms, but the steel is thicker than desired. The bottom frayer52 videos are interesting.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-M9KUbxxfk steel can pop pop
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_p-e7Wdcsg aluminum can pop pop

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7BSjYx_Tp4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmwoNcvNh6E&NR=1
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2vvBxFidRw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKPpANculQI&feature=related
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBf2R-HefZE&NR=1
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sT6ZdOjl4w&feature=related
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2011
        zoomkat wrote:
        > Does any body know of commonly available drink cans with dished
        > bottoms that are made of steel instead of aluminum?

        I recall running across drawn cans that looked like aluminum, but were
        magnetic, back in the 1980s, but I haven't seen any like that since 1990
        or so. There was a short period when the material cost difference made
        steel more attractive, even though the can weighed twice as much empty,
        but advances in the drawing and ironing process allowed use of less and
        less metal in the aluminum cans, while steel could only be drawn about
        half as thin (which uses around four times the material, by weight, and
        still costs just as much for the drawing as making the much thinner
        aluminum cans).

        The one possible exception I know of is soup cans -- the ones with a
        pull-tab top /may/ be steel (they used to be), but the dished bottom is
        pretty shallow, and I'm not sure those haven't converted to 100% aluminum.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2011
          To find pictures of cans, cannons, candelabra or Canada, search with Google Images.