Re: Easy putt putt engine build.

  • Daryl
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2011
      That would be a great way to go. I wonder what the cost would be?

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2011
        My guess is that it would be pretty expensive. Maybe Pete could come up with a "one size fits all" CAD design that could be shopped out to several companies in the electro-forming business. As an option some members might be interested in a link titled "Brazing Versus Soldering" that I added to the links section.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2011
          OOPS! Should have been "Brazing and Soldering."

          > My guess is that it would be pretty expensive. Maybe Pete could come up with a "one size fits all" CAD design that could be shopped out to several companies in the electro-forming business. As an option some members might be interested in a link titled "Brazing Versus Soldering" that I added to the links section.
          >
          > Old Frank
          >
          > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl" <darylcanada73@> wrote:
          > >
          > > That would be a great way to go. I wonder what the cost would be?
          > >
          > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Frank McNeill" <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi All,
          > > >
          > > > Daryl and yours truly, sometimes, have discussed a while back the possibility for using a process called "electro-forming" to produce one-piece boilers and propulsion tubes. We have a link to a company that specializes in this. Most members probably don't know there is a links section, so I thought this might be a good time to mention it.
          > > > Go to http://www.nicoform.com/?gclid=COKCyZzXgJ0CFQMQswodNw09cA for more about electro-forming than the US Mint probably thinks most folks should know.
          > > >
          > > > ttfn: Old Frank

        • David Halfpenny (y)
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2011
          Message 5 of 14 , Jun 3, 2011
            Hi David,

            I'm interested in electroforming as a method for manufacturing very small remotely controllable toy boats. Most kids have small cellular phones now that can be used to control toy planes, helicopters and cars, so why not tiny steam boats propelled by the simplest of all steam engines?

            Best wishes, Frank

            > > My guess is that it would be pretty expensive.
            >
            > Electroforming is an attractive process for making very light an accurate
            > hollow forms, and I'd like to have a go at it myself where accuracy is the
            > objective.
            >
            > For pop-pops we can benefit from Light but we don't need Accurate.
            >
            > So what would Electroforming offer that ordinary Stamping, Pressing or
            > Spinning would not?
            >
            > I attach a picture showing a copper dish being spun on a simple lathe using
            > wooden formers. Adding a flange around it would simply need a slightly
            > different former.
            >
            > David 1/2d

          • ivan foster
            Message 6 of 14 , Jun 3, 2011
              What about hydro-forming? My immediate thought would be to router out a two sided wood form the size of the tube with an expanded part in the middle, when you are through you could bend the pipes and you should have a simple engine, no sound of course.

              On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 5:17 AM, Frank McNeill <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

              Hi David,

              I'm interested in electroforming as a method for manufacturing very small remotely controllable toy boats. Most kids have small cellular phones now that can be used to control toy planes, helicopters and cars, so why not tiny steam boats propelled by the simplest of all steam engines?

              Best wishes, Frank

              > > My guess is that it would be pretty expensive.
              >
              > Electroforming is an attractive process for making very light an accurate
              > hollow forms, and I'd like to have a go at it myself where accuracy is the
              > objective.
              >
              > For pop-pops we can benefit from Light but we don't need Accurate.
              >
              > So what would Electroforming offer that ordinary Stamping, Pressing or
              > Spinning would not?
              >
              > I attach a picture showing a copper dish being spun on a simple lathe using
              > wooden formers. Adding a flange around it would simply need a slightly
              > different former.

              Foster
              Tru Cut Landscapes
              830 708-3160
              trucutlandscapes.com
              fosterairborne@...

              Message 7 of 14 , Jun 4, 2011
                No sound - - other than other than that of a muffled explosion and some screaming, and or profanity! !