Re: Why does the boiler fill with air after a while?

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 31, 2011
      Lot of different ideas on how pop pop engines work and what would be the best design. I think the bottom line principal idea is that the boiler internal volume needs to be small with a fairly large heated surface area. The steam needs to be generated in a "flash" (flash boiler) to generate high pressure steam to eject the water from the exhaust pipes very rapidly. Anything less and the engine just turns into a still.

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "theo570" <theo570@...> wrote:

      > Ok, in my design I have what amounts to a large boiler in that it is 1.5 inches in diameter and about .75 inches deep (Dome). I have both pipes (.125 OD, about .100 ID) terminating in the center bottomish area of the dome.
      >
      > My two conclusions in my lack of 'spirit' from the motor are:
      >
      > A - Way to much volume in the boiler.
      > B - Pipe location.
      >
      > I think the volume of the boiler needs to more closely match the volume over time of the generated steam.
      >
      > I also think that staggering the pipes inside the boiler will have a greater effect in 'burping' an unwanted gas pocket.
      >
      > Off the the workbench for some soldering.
      >
      > Ted

    • Daryl
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
        From your description if I understand correctly I would suggest a maximum depth of the boiler at about 1/8 inch and the rise from the top of the pipe outlets to the top of the boiler at about 3/4 inch. Location of the pipes entering the boiler do not seem to have much effect either way but for a low heat diaphragm engine I would place them at the low point of the boiler. Zoomcat is quite right about small volume though this does make an engine more fussy about getting the amount of heat correct. If you reduce the volume start with very low heat and add if necessary as you test. Good luck Ted.

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "theo570" <theo570@...> wrote:

        > Ok, in my design I have what amounts to a large boiler in that it is 1.5 inches in diameter and about .75 inches deep (Dome). I have both pipes (.125 OD, about .100 ID) terminating in the center bottomish area of the dome.
        >
        > My two conclusions in my lack of 'spirit' from the motor are:
        >
        > A - Way to much volume in the boiler.
        > B - Pipe location.
        >
        > I think the volume of the boiler needs to more closely match the volume over time of the generated steam.
        >
        > I also think that staggering the pipes inside the boiler will have a greater effect in 'burping' an unwanted gas pocket.
        >
        > Off the the workbench for some soldering.
        >
        > Ted

      • Daryl
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 2, 2011
          PS Read your pipe size as .125 ID then realized it was OD. This is a bit small. Perhaps 1/8 t0 5/32 ID would be better. D.