Speed testing hull designs.

  • Daryl
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 25, 2011
      Hi all,.........Just posted a new video to youtube at...

      http://www.youtube.com/user/PuttPutt4video?feature=mhsn#p/u/11/HimvaG7suQc
      Hope you will have a look.

      By the way, where the heck is everybody

      Daryl.
    • Peak45
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 25, 2011
        I`m here lol

        Wayne..............

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 26, 2011
          Hi Daryl,

          Very nicely done video as usual! Your video work & boat building skills are the envy of us all. Thanks for posting.

          Most members are most likely in the Winter doldrums. Hold on Spring is coming!

          Best regards,

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 27, 2011

            > Hi all,.........Just posted a new video to youtube at...
            >
            > http://www.youtube.com/user/PuttPutt4video?feature=mhsn#p/u/11/HimvaG7suQc
            > Hope you will have a look.
            >

            > By the way, where the heck is everybody
            >

            > Daryl.

            Been working on ways to make good quality candles for use in the commercial pop pop boats. I've always used olive oil in my boats, but find that olive oil is a bit messy and complex for those who I give the boats to. The mix of olive oil and olive oil soot makes a high grade prison tattoo ink. The candles supplied with the boats are usually poor quality, and when gone the boats are probably abandoned. I figure if I supply some good working low mess candles with the boats, the boats will provide more fun and entertainment.
          • Yahoo2
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 27, 2011
              > Been working on ways to make good quality
              > candles for use in the commercial pop pop boats.
              > I've always used olive oil in my boats, but find
              > that olive oil is a bit messy and complex for
              > those who I give the boats to. The mix of olive
              > oil and olive oil soot makes a high grade prison
              > tattoo ink. The candles supplied with the boats
              > are usually poor quality, and when gone the
              > boats are probably abandoned. I figure if I
              > supply some good working low mess candles with
              > the boats, the boats will provide more fun and
              > entertainment.

              Good for you.

              When the original candles are gone I use birthday
              cake candles. With a large family getting ever
              older I have a never-ending supply of part-burned
              ones. The ones that relight themselves are more
              reliable.

              It won't work with all boats, but what I have done
              in small tinplate Indian boats is this.
              - find a tea-lamp candle with a loose wick
              tethered to a metal plate
              - withdraw the loose wick and fix it in the bottom
              of the hull in the best place for the flame
              - break the wax from the candle into small pieces
              - float the hull in simmering water
              - add the wax pieces to the hull gradually until
              the boat is floating comfortably with a pool of
              molten wax in the hull
              - turn off the heat to let the wax set.
              - use the boat as normal with its new long-life
              candle.
              - remelt adding wax, and a new wick if necessary,
              once the pool of wax stops working well

              David
            • Wes Goostrey
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 27, 2011
                Great Idea David ! Waterproof ballast too! ...now I gotta make some kinda rudders for these two that didn't come with them...
                Wes

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 27, 2011
                  --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Wes Goostrey <wgoostrey@...> wrote:

                  > Great Idea David ! Waterproof ballast too! ...now I gotta make some kinda
                  > rudders for these two that didn't come with them...
                  > Wes

                  You can cut rudders out of thick aluminum foil (like disposible pie pan and such) and attach them with a little drop of low temp hot glue. Soft enough to adjust but not easily damaged. The hot glue can be easily peeled off of the boat when needed.