Re: Spam Hazan

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 12, 2011

      Daryl & Jean-Yves,

      These preditors ride the coat tails of E-mail addresses as Jean-Yves said. It's been my experience that People who don't have active security software and those who are into the world of "forwarding" are generally the spammer's target. Even if you don't forward a lot of Email messages it's a good habit to delete ALL addresses from the original message and use "Bcc" option for listing the people you are E-mailing to. "Bcc" makes all addresses except yours blind on the receiving end.

      There is no real way to stop spammers as they seem to be one step ahead of everyone else. It's a shame that they are wasting their talent! We can all minimize the Spam by being more diligent in how we use our E-mail accounts.

      Pete

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Yves Renaud <j-y.renaud@...> wrote:

      > yes, it is a spam. In the past year I already got it a couple of times
      > through various email addresses.

    • Richard
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 12, 2011
        I checked the group settings, and apparently it was set so that "anybody" (not just group members) can post messages. I have changed this now so that only group members can post. I have also set it so that messages posted by new members (anybody who joins the group after today) must be approved by one of the moderators before they go live to the group. When a new members posts a legitimate message, we'll change their individual settings so that they are no longer moderated. Spammers of course will get the boot. This is how I do it on a couple of my other Yahoo groups, and it has worked well so far.

        Richard Jenkins
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2011
          Thanks Richard,

          I should have gone in an done the same. I have no prior experience with "Yahoo Groups" so I am fumbling through the options. Originally I believe Frank had all settings in the safe mode. Acouple of years ago one of the moderators deleted the group. When it was brought back up all of the settings may have been set to default. Anyway, THANKS>

          Pete