Re: New file uploaded to pop-pop-steamboats

    Message 1 of 57 , Nov 3, 2006

      Hi Frank,

      I like your concept of the Stirling engine. The cooling side of the loop could run outside the hull parallel to the keel where the pond water acts as the coolant. In fact if rectangular brass tubing were used the tube could be the keel. I'd have to research the volume/flow reqmnts. It should be relatively easy to union a tube from the engine to the "keel". I think that some of the steam launches use this technique to condense steam for recycling. Ohters replenish the water from what ever body they are motoring in. The nice thing about the recycler is that the launch can be used in salt water without worrying about corrosion within the steam engine. The recycling boats perhaps carry a small supply of fresh water to replace what is lost through the relief valves and steam whistles. Yes they do use those steam whistles! I've seen some launches that have two or more whistles to play with. Kind of a mini calliope.

      ENJOY....

      Pete

      Message 57 of 57 , Oct 22, 2011
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the pop-pop-steamboats
        group.

        File : /poppop.pdf
        Uploaded by : andor_99833 <don.gato@...>
        Description : Make Magazine vol 28 pop pop article

        andor_99833 <don.gato@...>