Six Tugboats

  • charleswclarke@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 27, 2010
      I have been busy making pop-pop boats for Christmas presents. I posted a picture under the photo album, "CWC's Tugboat Fleet."
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 27, 2010
        Thanks for posting photo. Nice looking little tugs! are they your own design? If yes, do you have drawings to share with other members?

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, charleswclarke@... wrote:

        > I have been busy making pop-pop boats for Christmas presents. I posted a picture under the photo album, "CWC's Tugboat Fleet."

      • Daryl
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 28, 2010
          Looks good. Clever design.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 28, 2010
            Yes, I created the design, but I used a lot of information that I found on the various pop-pop internet sites. Sorry, but I do not have a drawing to share. Some recycled materials were used. The 8-inch hull is a polypropylene food tray from the local supermarket, and the boiler is made from old copper roof flashing. The tubes are copper-nickel brake line. Two rubber grommets affixed to the hull allow for the removal of the engine if necessary. The engine joints are all silver-brazed. The tugboat "superstructure" was shaped from green florist foam and covered with fiberglass. Charles
          • charleswclarke@netscape.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 28, 2010
              Thanks Daryl. I had made a few prototypes during the summer. I learned that I really could not get away with soft-soldering. Hopeful, the silver brazing will be much more durable. Charles
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 28, 2010
                Charles,

                Thanks for the info. You have created a very nice design. I noticed that the letters on the stacks were different. Do they represent the various gift recipients?

                On your design: If you are willing I can sketch up your design in CAD. You would, of course get full credit. Please let me know via personal E-mail. We can discuss further.

                Pete

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 28, 2010
                  Pete,
                  Yes, the letter on the stack is the first letter of the first name of the recipient. Two are for brothers with the the same first initial. I had plans to paint their boats different colors, but I was not too happy with the other color. At the last minute, I resprayed them both the same color.
                  Charles