Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] New file uploaded to pop-pop-steamboats

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
      Hi Matt,

      I've been thinking along similar lines and have accumulated several links to brands of butane lighters, torches, fondue heaters, etc., that could be ignited by using a servomechanism, instead of a finger or thumb, to push a button or slide. When a button or slide is returned to its original position, the flame is extinguished. This won't be needed until we need radio controllable pop-pop engines for models of ships that had sails and steam engines.
      There are brands of butane lighters that can explode if they get too hot, so I'm still looking for things that could be hacked to put some distance between the part with the butane and the part where the fire comes out.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 22, 2009
        Looks like it needs a rudder.

        And try it with a bit of air bubble as well.

        Yours is very like Tony Green's commercial version, which also has a simple
        copper coil, so I would expect you to be able to tune it to drive quite a
        boat:
        http://www.tgsm.co.uk/acatalog/Pop_Pop_Engines.html

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2009
          Hi David and Pete,

          That Irish pop-pop in a gutter is probably the worst pop-pop video I
          have seen. It jams of course, because the piece of wood is too short
          and the gutter is too wide. I remember an old joke that people in
          Ireland didn't know how to walk on their hind legs before they were
          supplied with English wheelbarrows for use as training wheels.

          Old Frank

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny" <dh1@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22, 2009

            Hey Frank,

            The video was to show my idea of  using a plastic rain gutter for a course. They're inexpensive and have gasketed, snap on end caps. Their extruded shape allows 3 or 4 of them to be easily clipped together to provide parallel "canals" in which to race Pop-Pops.

            The boat design started out okay with the choice of a wooden hull over one made from an aluminum "pop" or beer can. The design went down hill from there as the video shows.

            By the way, I invited the "contact" to join both Pop-Pop steamboats and Pop-Pop boats.