Boiler design, diaphragm construction

  • William Abernathy
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2010
      Hi all. If there's an FAQ on this, let me know.

      My daughters are nuts for Ponyo, and I look for any excuse to work with metal,
      so I'm building a pop-pop boat.

      I want it to actually pop, so I would like to source a solderable material
      that's appropriate for a diaphragm. I intend to use half an Altoid Smalls tin
      for the body of the boiler, but need a proper spec for brass sheet thickness. I
      would also appreciate any sage counsel you might have for the noob attempting
      this for the first time.

      Thanks,

      --William

      --
      William Abernathy
      Berkeley, CA
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 18, 2010
        William -

        In Frank's absence I'll try to help you out! Here goes...

        Go to "Files" and check out Jean-Yves instructions for a diaphragm engine. This article should get you going.
        Building_a_diaphragm_pop-pop_engine_V1.3.pdf

        I'm sure that there are others.

        Pete

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, William Abernathy <william@...> wrote:

        > Hi all. If there's an FAQ on this, let me know.
        >
        > My daughters are nuts for Ponyo, and I look for any excuse to work with metal,
        > so I'm building a pop-pop boat.
        >
        > I want it to actually pop, so I would like to source a solderable material
        > that's appropriate for a diaphragm. I intend to use half an Altoid Smalls tin
        > for the body of the boiler, but need a proper spec for brass sheet thickness. I
        > would also appreciate any sage counsel you might have for the noob attempting
        > this for the first time.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > --William
        >
        > --
        > William Abernathy
        > Berkeley, CA
        > http://yourwritereditor.com

      • Motleyjust
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 18, 2010
          I get a The webpage cannot be found  message from that URL.

          motleyjustmotleynothingbutmotley

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 19, 2010
            Sorry...Yahoo is funny! Some times links work other times they don't. It seems to be a hit or miss operation.

            Go to "Files" and check out folder "Pop-pop - La page de Jean-Yves"
            for instructions on making a diaphragm engine. This article should get you going.

            The document is a PDF file labeled "Building_a_diaphragm_pop-pop_engine_V1.3.pdf"

            Hope that gets you there.

            Pete