R/C Pop-Pop Boats

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 9, 2010

      This probably should have been emailed directly to Jack Stinson, our resident radio control expert because I would like to have his take regarding the possibility for using RC actuators sold by Plantraco Microflight company at http://www.microflight.com/ for remote control of pop-pop boats. One possibility might be units for remote rudder or Kitchen rudder control that could be temporarily attached to pop-pop boats rather than being permanently built into them. Anybody else with R/C experience can join in though!

      Message 2 of 6 , May 14 4:45 PM

        Does anybody know of any companies that might be interested in manufacturing and marketing R/C pop-pop boats? A company in the UK sells dongles that temporarily convert iPhones into R/C transmitters for relatively inexpensive toy helicopters and cars, and might be interested in developing something for R/C pop-pop boats, if there were any manufactured R/C pop-pop boats to control. Go to http://www.apptoyz.com/ for more about this topic.

        Old Frank
      • jeanyves_renaud
        Message 3 of 6 , May 15 12:12 AM
          Hi Frank.
          1°) why would you like to R/C a pop-pop boat?
          These toys are so simple that it would be a pity to complicate them.
          Don't forget that in case of burnout you'll need to be close to the boat to blow the flame before damages.
          2°) I have nothing against iphone but why do you want to use such a sophisticated mean to remote control a pop-pop boat?
          To demonstrate that it could be very cheap, recently I fitted a R/C on a pop-pop boat model. Cost: 10€ (= 14$ = 11£ to be compared to approx 50£ for the cheapest toy R/C by iphone.).
          You can see it on www.eclecticspace.net/doc5
          Jean-Yves

          Message 4 of 6 , May 15 6:02 AM
            Mostly to preserve them for a generation of kids that have "cut their teeth" on cheap R/C toys and cell phones. My three-year old great grandson lives in a house cluttered with this stuff. He has never seen a pop-pop boat though, and probably never will, if somebody doesn't manufacture pop-pops that can be started and stopped remotely.
            An option might be toys with solid-state thermoelectric generators. There already are wrist watches powered by heat from people who wear them and ID implants for finding lost pets- and misplaced kids!
            ttfn, Old Frank

            Message 5 of 6 , May 15 9:38 AM
              In my "to do" pile I have an RC toy truck I got at walmart for ~$8 with the intention to open it up to see if the internals in it can be modified to control a rudder. The small cheap RC toys apparently have dual H-bridges, one that controls the motor foward/reverse and one that controls electro magnets for the stearing. There are other inexpensive and light weight RC toys like below that might be modified for pop pop boat use.

              http://www.hobbytron.com/ElectricAirshipRCBlimpUJ8831.html

              Message 6 of 6 , May 15 12:10 PM
                Mo's vectored thrust tubes might be better than a rudder, or the "skid-steer" method used on really cheap R/C cars and trucks.