The New Home Page Picture

    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 2, 2006
      Greetings All,

      A new picture has been put up on the home page to remind you to vote.
      It doesn't matter who you vote for, because voters always get  dumped on by the politicians they vote for.
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 6, 2006

        The new home page picture isn't really new, because it was cobbled together from bits and pieces that have been used before. There seem to be two basic types of pop-pop boilers, diaphragm boilers that make the traditional pop-pop sound and coiled tube boilers that don't. Some sources of information indicate that diaphragm boilers provide more propulsion than tube boilers. They also indicate that all diaphragm boilers eventually fail because of metal fatigue, or melting of the solder that holds them together which happens if an accumulation of air bubbles stops the pulsating action that propels a pop-pop boat.
        The limited service life would not be a big deal for tin boats that cost four or five dollars apiece, but it would be in detailed models of Fulton's Clermont or boats with integral multi-boiler engines. Richard Jenkins discovered that boilers made of square brass tubing don't need coils with two or three turns, and are so compact that several boilers could fit in to the space one diaphragm boiler requires. That means that for faster boats, just use more boilers— and bigger burners!

        Best wishes, old Frank
      • Ray & Ruby Brandes
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 7, 2006
          Looks like that four-engine boat could be just the thing for RC. Move
          the fire around for forward and reverse, left and right, no?
          Ray in FLA

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 7, 2006
            Hi Ray & Ruby.

            That's just about it. The idea would be to use a servo to move damper plates that could direct most of the heat to one or the other, or both, of two boilers with pairs of tubes sticking out through the stern and bow. An engine with two servos and four boilers would provide skid-steering similar to that of a tracked vehicle.
            Moving one control forward and the other backward would provide rotation in place. Moving one control forward or backward with the other one at center would result in turning while going forward or backward. Moving both controls forward or backward would provide forward or backward motion. And moving one control backward and forward repeatedly with the other control at center MIGHT result in a sidling motion that would gradually move a boat sideways the way modern towboats can move.
            Some of the members of the tugsandtows group build large models of barges and towboats that are hauled to meets on special trailers for competitions that involve maneuvering barges through a series of canals and turns to docks without bumping into anything. This is something that might be done without the need for special trailers, if pop-pop towboats were used.
            Another possibility might be models of ironclads that could duke it out with smaller versions of your toy cannon!

            Best wishes, Frank

            Frank McNeill wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > The new home page picture isn't really new,

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto: pop-pop-steamboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto: pop-pop-steamboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 14, 2006
              Hi All.

              The new home page picture might become the "old picture,"  because it will stay there until next year.

              Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

              old Frank

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 26, 2006

                The new picture shows a waterline model of a steamboat and will be displayed for a while to encourage a return to the discussion of methods for converting kits for paper boat models into kits for pop-pop steamboats.

                Best wishes, old Frank
              • Len Phillips
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 2, 2007
                  Message
                  great little bit of art ... love it .....
                  very saleable I reckon with a caption ?

                  who owns it ?   it's raining here <G>  all aboard ...Pop Pop ...

                  Aussie Len
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 3, 2007

                    Len,

                    I'm not sure of the origin of the "ARK". I captured it from a website in Greece. Our daughter was interested in Noah's Ark for a Classroom project. I back tracked and came up with this link.

                    users.auth.gr/~azopidou/ PICTURES/PICTURES.HTM

                    Noah's ark-elefant trouble(159KB)
                    Noah's ark-Woodpecker trouble(180KB)
                    Noah's ark-Winter trouble(149KB)
                    Noah's ark-High speed trouble(149Kb)
                    don't miss a boat(147KB)

                    This should get you started.

                    Enjoy,

                    Pete

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 3, 2007
                      Message
                      Pete .... What a great link .... YES this will keep me amused for a little while .....

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 10, 2007

                        The picture was cobbled together from clips of several goodies sold by the Mother of Hobbies Stores, formerly known as "Hobbies of Dereham" and now just "Hobbies." If you don't want to go there by boat, plane or train, go to < http://www.alwayshobbies.com/> instead.

                        Best wishes, old Frank

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 10, 2007

                          Mornin Frank n All,

                          To expand on the Home Page boats...

                          The little red stern wheeler is a pop-pop kit. The side wheeler in the center is made from available plans. It kinda looks like a whimsical variation of the 1808 CLERMONT. With a few mods it may be a candidate for a pop-pop CLERMONT.

                          Again Frank, thanks for your tenacity and/or curiosity in all of your interesting finds.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 10, 2007
                            And the top of the mornin to you Pete my lad n All,

                            The pop-pop engine for the little red stern wheeler can be purchased
                            separately for an outrageously inflated price. I posted it because the
                            use of shrouds for heat containment has been discussed. It would be
                            very easy to make your own shrouded engine by putting the little steam
                            candle thingie at< http://tinyurl.com/yxko6y> in a shroud that could
                            be cobbled together from tin cans and the like. The Mississippi stern
                            wheeler was included because it came up when I used the word "paddle"
                            for a search. It's basically just a static model for display, but
                            might be converted for operation. As Pete stated, the side wheeler is
                            something of an exception for Hobbies, which mostly sells kits. Plans
                            are cheaper than kits however and a lot easier to scale up or down.
                            This one is for a string pull boat with paddle wheels that might turn
                            if the string was pulled hard enough. The hull is a bread and butter
                            type that resembles models of the Clermont and plans from an old
                            Popular Mechanics magazine that Pete has in the files section.

                            ttfn, old Frank

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 12, 2007

                              The picture is one of several provided by Ekkehard Kröger, aka Eddy, that can be seen a photos album titled: "Eddy's Pop-Pop Boat,"  Several of the book's pages can be in a files folder titled: "Eddy's jpeg files."
                              Go to <http://tinyurl.com/y2gxna> for some interesting stuff.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 18, 2007
                                The new picture shows a paper model of the SS Krakow that Jim Krauzlis
                                constructed. There are other views of the model in Jim's photos album.
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 2, 2007

                                  Today's home page picture was contributed by Mike Moklak
                                  <growlermike>. It shows a Steam Walker and is an imaginative example
                                  of “steampunk” art associated with war game groups based on the
                                  premise that space flight was developed during the 19th century
                                  Victorian period. A link titled “Steam Walker” has been added to the
                                  links section. Thanks Mike.

                                  ttfn, Frank
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 3, 2007

                                    Hi Frank,

                                    "Steam Walker"? I don't know if you googled or not. There are several sites out there for unusual Steam Walkers. I must say that the "copper" looking one on our homepage has more class than most! There's just something about that copper and the old fashion design.

                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no3c_9lwsj4

                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xylzN6J2N4s

                                    Here are a couple of videos.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 3, 2007
                                      Hi Pete,

                                      Mike Moklak found the steam walker and asked me to post a link to it.
                                      I didn't discover until after I posted it that it has a tiny steam
                                      engine to drive the walking mechanism.
                                      Go to <http://tinyurl.com/ypa2oa> and scroll down for more views of
                                      the walker, then click on the MOVIE MEGA THEATER box for video of the
                                      walker and several other steam powered things in action.

                                      > Hi Frank,
                                      >
                                      > "Steam Walker"? I don't know if you googled or not. There are several
                                      > sites out there for unusual Steam Walkers. I must say that the "copper"
                                      > looking one on our homepage has more class than most! There's just
                                      > something about that copper and the old fashion design.
                                      >
                                      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no3c_9lwsj4
                                      > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no3c_9lwsj4>
                                      >
                                      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xylzN6J2N4s
                                      > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xylzN6J2N4s>
                                      >
                                      > Here are a couple of videos.

                                      > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hi All,
                                      > >
                                      > > Today's home page picture was contributed by Mike Moklak
                                      > > <growlermike>. It shows a Steam Walker and is an imaginative example
                                      > > of “steampunk” art associated with war game groups based
                                      > on the
                                      > > premise that space flight was developed during the 19th century
                                      > > Victorian period. A link titled “Steam Walker” has been
                                      > added to the
                                      > > links section. Thanks Mike.
                                      > >
                                      > > ttfn, Frank

                                    • Andres
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 4, 2007
                                        Hi All:
                                        Did anybody follow the links behind this site? I found very
                                        interesting things, including pop pop submarines:
                                        http://tinyurl.com/2cl6tm
                                        Pop Pop boats and submarines:
                                        http://tinyurl.com/2yjftq
                                        Andrés

                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 5, 2007

                                          Hi Andres,

                                          Neat stuff! Thanks for the links. I hope that everyone will tak ethe time to check them and their associated links out.

                                          Pete

                                          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Andres" <jerigonzacl@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi All:
                                          > Did anybody follow the links behind this site? I found very
                                          > interesting things, including pop pop submarines:
                                          > http://tinyurl.com/2cl6tm
                                          > Pop Pop boats and submarines:
                                          > http://tinyurl.com/2yjftq
                                          > Andrés
                                          >

                                          > > Hi Pete,
                                          > >
                                          > > Mike Moklak found the steam walker and asked me to post a link to it.
                                          > > I didn't discover until after I posted it that it has a tiny steam
                                          > > engine to drive the walking mechanism.
                                          > > Go to <http://tinyurl.com/ypa2oa> and scroll down for more views of
                                          > > the walker, then click on the MOVIE MEGA THEATER box for video of the
                                          > > walker and several other steam powered things in action.

                                        • frankmcneill
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 5, 2010

                                            I "borrowed" Pete's picture of an ark with its "motley" crew and would like to dedicate it to motleyjustmotleynothingbutmotley a talented designer of card stock models that can be seen on the Paper Models discussion group and a new member of our little group of pop-pop boat enthusiasts.

                                            Frank
                                          • Motleyjust
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 5, 2010
                                              I am honored. I didn't think anyone noticed.

                                              Since you brought me up, a little self promotion:
                                              I have some art work, including the back cover, in a game book to be released first part of Oct.
                                              http://blackpigeonpress.com/archives/2032
                                              It will premier at Archon in St. Louis, MO Oct. 1.  I will be there to sign copies with the author and other artists.

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Sep 6, 2010

                                                The latest home page picture shows Motleyjust's back cover.

                                                Best wishes, Frank