Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: lower size limit for a boiler?

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 12, 2010
      Hi Dave,

      Links to stuff in files and photos of discussion groups don't always work, but this one might open the photos that include one of popflea http://tinyurl.com/2cpcgqh and I am attaching a copy of the pdf file that inspired the use of square tubing in popflea. Richard Jenkins contributed this picture of his little boat and reported a while back that he was currently working on a boat that would be equipped with a radio control Kitchen rudder which would make it possible to steer the boat in both forward and reverse directions. Wikipedia has a detailed description of the Kitchen rudder, in the event that you would like to provide remote control for your pop-pop battleship. R/C stuff keeps getting smaller so before long I will start looking for attached antennas before I swat a wasp, bee or fly.

      Best wishes, Frank

      On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 10:09 AM, mr.wombosi <mr.wombosi@...> wrote:

      I couldn't find the popflea picture, but thanks for the link. I'm basically ising that design described there but my boiler is about 35mm long and with tubes reaches about 75mm. The tubes are narrow copper pipe epoxied in. There is no popping, but boy is there thrust! It seems to get more relatively powerful the smaller you make them (as hinted by your videos).

      Whether I can cram it into a model battleship 230mm long remains to be seen ;)

      Thanks for the inspiration.

      Dave.

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneill" <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

      > Hi Dave,
      >
      > Go to http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/ and scroll down for photos and instructions related to an engine made of soda straws and metal from a tin can. You might also be interested in using square brass tubing which does not require coiling as round tubing usually does. Look in the photos section for the little wooden Popflea, a 6-inch long wooden with a loop of 1/8" square brass tube for a motor.
      >
      > Best wishes, Frank
      >
      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "mr.wombosi" <mr.wombosi@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > > I'm trying to make a tiny pop-pop battleship, but I have no idea how small the boiler can be before it ceases to function. I don't need a diaphram for this application, just using aluminium can sheets and straws.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Dave.

    • mr.wombosi
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 12, 2010
        Thanks again for the design info. I beleive they have square tubes at my local model shop, so it may well prove an interesting route to persue. The popflea itself is a very smart little boat.

        The kitchen rudder looks a little hi tech for my boat, but I might try it on something bigger. Sort of like a thrust reverser on jet engines?

        Indeed RC gear is getting pretty darn small. My Micro J3 cub weighs about 24g with lipo battery and conventional servos. People do however go much MUCH smaller :O

        http://www.aeronutz.flyer.co.uk/

        Thanks again,

      • frankmcneill
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 12, 2010
          The Kitchen Rudder works pretty much the same way thrust reversers do but provides steering in reverse and forward directions. You can get the same effect by leaving a spoon in the kitchen sink before turning the water faucet on all the way. The only problem is that you will have to mop up a lot of water afterwards.