Re: Using WD40 on the pipes

  • Daryl
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 12, 2010
      Why would you choose isopropyl 91% over methyl hydrate? Contents here say that the missing 9% is water. Methyl hydrate here is much cheaper than isopropyl which in Canada is a medical product, grain alcohol with additives to make it non drinkable and is available in 99.9% at a still higher cost. I use the methyl hydrate for fuel in the wick burners as it is hotter, cheaper and much cleaner burning than isopropyl. It also has the advantage that when I accidentally drop the fuel tank in the water or get water in the tank it still burns OK. It is true that if the tank is not emptied after use and allowed to evaporate the next time you try to use it the wicks may be damp with water absorbed from the air and slow to evaporate from the wick tubes due to a lack of air circulation.

      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 15, 2010
        John YAHOO wrote:

        > I am in the UK. Over the years and more recently I've ordered 500ml of
        > Isopropyl alcohol from several local independent pharmacies. None have
        > ever had it in stock but they can get it for you within 24 hours. The
        > last 500ml cost me £4.75 (about $7 US)
        > John
        > G3UGY

        Wow. Here in the US, I can usually buy a quart of 91% (the more
        expensive stuff) for under $2.