Re: Using WD40 on the pipes

    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 8 3:25 PM
      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "alasdair.young" <alasdair.young@...> wrote:

      > I read that a good way of keeping the boats in good condition (internally) is after use, give the boat a quick squirt of WD40 up one of the pipes. I did this and have had nothing but trouble with my boats ever since.

      The Indian engines will rust on the inside. When I fill an engine that has been sitting a long time I often see very rusty water comming out the other pipe. One thing to check is to see if the engine has developed a boiler air leak. A very small leak will cause the engine to dry out and overheat. I put the boiler under water and blow hard on the exhaust pipe ends to pressurize the boiler and see if any bubbles come from the boiler. I have a bunch of boats that develop leaks on the brass diaphram, which requires delicate repair. I don't think wd40 itself should cause a problem.
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 15 5:47 PM
        John YAHOO wrote:

        > I am in the UK. Over the years and more recently I've ordered 500ml of
        > Isopropyl alcohol from several local independent pharmacies. None have
        > ever had it in stock but they can get it for you within 24 hours. The
        > last 500ml cost me £4.75 (about $7 US)
        > John
        > G3UGY

        Wow. Here in the US, I can usually buy a quart of 91% (the more
        expensive stuff) for under $2.