Re: Using WD40 on the pipes

  • Daryl
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 8, 2010
      Never tried that but here are some random thoughts.

      As the WD in WD 40 lubricant stands for water displacer it sounds like a good idea,.......unless you want water in your engine which is sort of necessary for running. See Snopes for myths and maybe facts about the product at http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp It is a hoot to read what people will do with this stuff. Could be the petroleum products in WD 40 is keeping the water from contacting the boiler surface, acting as a heat insulator and also burning up a smudge. One use they don't mention that has worked for me is starter fluid . I heard it contains ether but don't see that as an ingredient at least by that name. Spray some in a glass bottle and then throw in a lit match to test that theory. What I meant to say is don't do that.

      Possible alternative solutions:- 1. After use bake in the oven to drive out the water. 2. Flush with automotive anti rust/anti corrosive or anti freeze. 3. About 1/2 hour in the clothes dryer should do it. 4, Flush with methyl hydrate. (Absorbs the water). 5. Use a hair dryer to heat and blow out the moisture. 6. Make your own engines using copper and brass. 6. Always keep them running.

      And one final note. Putt putt engines have no moving parts so lubricating them is not necessary.

      Frank can probably add to this list if we can wake him.

      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 15, 2010
        John YAHOO wrote:

        > I am in the UK. Over the years and more recently I've ordered 500ml of
        > Isopropyl alcohol from several local independent pharmacies. None have
        > ever had it in stock but they can get it for you within 24 hours. The
        > last 500ml cost me £4.75 (about $7 US)
        > John
        > G3UGY

        Wow. Here in the US, I can usually buy a quart of 91% (the more
        expensive stuff) for under $2.