Welcome new members

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 30, 2010

      Enrique, Joel, Nick

      Welcome to Pop-Pops!

      Tell us a little bit about yourselves; interests, level of experience and what you hope to learn from other member.

      As Franks has stated we are an informal group that sometimes wonder in out post. we are made up of novice members to those who do a lot of research and experimenting. We try to have something for everyone in the World of the little boats.

      Pete

    • joeleaux
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 30, 2010
        Hey Guys,

        Name is Joel and i'm a 38 year-young father of four who is a Cubmaster, Webelos Den Leader and who had never heard of Pop Pop boats until accidentally stumbling across a "how to video" on YouTube a few days ago.

        i am currently building a "Science Toys dot com" version (flat diaphragm and bendy straws), but i am looking for more adventurous plans/designs.

        i will take some photos of my current build and i'm sure i'll be asking for help once i'm ready to introduce this to my Scouts.

        Thanks so much!

      • azyoyoer@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 30, 2010
          Hello,
          My name is Nick and I'm a highschool student who is taking college classes as a junior to get dual credit and finish my education sooner. I hope to get a degree in mechanical engineering from UofA. I found this group while looking for information about steam powered boats (because I was doing a project where I had to make one for my engineering course.) Other than messing around with pop pop boats I yo-yo competitively and race dirtbikes and rc cars. I hope to be able to contribute eventually to this group with some pop pop discoveries of my own.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 31, 2010
            Hi Nick,

            Thanks for joining and posting on our little pop-pops group. I am one of four owners of the pop-pops group and a voluntary moderator for tie dumasmodelboats group where kits manufactured by Dumas Products, Inc. at 909 E. 17th Street, Tucson, AZ are discussed occasionally. There aren't any domestic manufactures of pop-pop boats so you might suggest this at Dumas Products if you decide to visit them some time.

            Best wishes, Frank

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 31, 2010

              Welcome Nick,

              Great a young mind.

              Over the years I have worked with engineers right out of college. Some with the attitude that they know everything. Most however, don't know what they don't know. They tend to have a more collaborative attitude. I am presently working with a young engineering. He is learning our products and company culture from me and I am learning (trying to) a different CAD software from him. I have the bigger challenge. I have 15+ years using Keycreator CAD software. As I near retirement I am learning Solidworks. The challenge is in unlearning not in learning.

              I hope that as you learn more about engineering and Pop-Pops you will continue with your interest in the little boats. We have a lot of engineering research and experimentation document by members. Frank has an active mind and comes up with unique ideas as to materials etc. Perhaps you can design a hull using some of the non-conventional materials and then document with CAD.

              Good luck with your education. It sounds like you have your focus set. Have you decided on what field in mechanical engineering that you will pursue? If you get the opportunity to Co-op, please do. You won't regret it.

              Our son thought Bio-mech at Cornell. Then at MIT he was a research assistant in the 3D printing lab. His first job was in R & D at Gerber Scientific (printing processes). He now works at UTC Fuel Cells Div. developing test equiment.

              Pete

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 31, 2010
                > Hello,
                > My name is Nick and I'm a highschool student who is taking college classes as a junior to get dual credit and finish my education sooner. I hope to get a degree in mechanical engineering from UofA. I found this group while looking for information about steam powered boats (because I was doing a project where I had to make one for my engineering course.) Other than messing around with pop pop boats I yo-yo competitively and race dirtbikes and rc cars. I hope to be able to contribute eventually to this group with some pop pop discoveries of my own.

                Studying the pop pop engine could be an interesting project for an engineering student. There is not a lot of engineering data available on pop pop engines, probably due to the idea that they will never do anything useful or generate income (excluding entertainment value!). Doing a detailed engineering study of pop pop engine operation and design would expose you to learning opportunities that apply to almost any mechanical engineering situation. I would like to make a larger operating pop pop engine than what is available now, but lack significant information on just why the different small designs work as well as they do. On the positive side, working with pop pop engines is fairly inexpensive compared to to other hobbies.
              • darylcanada73
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1, 2010
                  Welcome Nick,

                  There is a considerable amount of scientific information on line
                  about pop pop engines. The links below will take you to some of the best......

                  http://www.ias.ac.in/resonance/June2004/June2004p66-73.html

                  http://www.springerlink.com/content/1721wv752755w881/

                  http://www.eclecticspace.net/poppop/jy/pop-pop_engine_V2.pdf

                  I expect everyone has already found the sciencetoymaker site and below
                  is the beginnings of a Tech forum.........

                  http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/ftopic29385-0-asc-0.php

                  The math and physics of upsizing could be a good project.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 31, 2011

                    Welcome to new and relatively new members,

                    Please tell us a little bit about yourself. What are your interests? What do you hope to learn from our member base? How can you contribute to make Pop-Pop the best group that it can be?

                    THANKS,

                    Pete

                  • FosterAirborne
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 31, 2011
                      I am 32 and have a small landscaping business in central Texas. I am a collector, but, while most collect things, I collect hobbies. I have a substantial bonsai collection and enjoy building with wood, steel, and recently soft metals. I find that I don't have the patience to build things as pretty as a lot of what I see here but you all inspire me.

                      Have already learned a good bit from your database and enjoy the pics of everyone's work, can't say i can contribute much at this time but hope to get back to my hobbies soon. after building several boat engines i discovered sterling engines and was in the middle of a build when I had to move myself an my business and that has taken all my time.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 1, 2011

                        Thanks "FosterAirborne" for your little intro. It helps folks with common interest share.

                        Pete