Re: The Current Home Page image

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2006
      Hi, Frank & crew,

      The panoramic image of the cabin on the Louis McClure is most likely
      pretty representative of the crews' quarters on the CLERMONT. I believe
      from my research that the passenger cabins might have been somewhat
      different.

      On the maiden trip of the Clermont the boat was probably "bare bones".
      On the trip there were a few invited guest but no paying passengers.
      After the shakedown some berths were added. I think 12 was the number I
      remember reading. There was also additional decking, paddlewheel boards
      and reinforcing added.

      It wasn't until the 1808 remodelling that creature comforts were added.
      The bigger boat allowed for the addition of a dining area, a lounge and
      the like. I don't think that there were individual cabins per say. I
      think that you are correct. It was probably modelled after the rail car
      berths with common areas. The berths were perhaps around the perimeter
      of the cabins, possibly even bunk style, with curtains to provide some
      privacy. There are no real good accounts so I am reading between the
      line of what I have found. The passenger capacity was about 60.

      As you can imagine on a boat of approx 16 feet wide and 7 ft deep by
      150 ft long minus the space taken by the engine and boiler, there wasn't
      room for very large private spaces.

      The crew probably shared bunks. when the day crew worked the night crew
      slept. This is not unlike arrangements on some of today's non-passenger
      ships.

      Hopefully some of my comments will stimulate some interest and ideas on
      the History of the steamboats. Just remember, much of what I relay is
      conjecture.