RE: [pop-pop-steamboats] Where to buy tubing?

  • brian458666@550access.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
      Quoting Norman Adrian <njadrian@...>:

      I've had good service from a place in Fort Wayne called "My Atomic
      Hobbies". Order online at "myatomic.com".
      Brian

      > I our area Home Depot carries copper refrigeration tubing in various
      > diameters and various coil lengths. Otherwise, I would think most hardware
      > stores would carry it.

    • i_mad_gination
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
        Thank you very much. I will re-visit Home Depot. (originally thought the tubing had to be a smaller diameter than what they carry - happy to know otherwise)

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Norman Adrian" <njadrian@...> wrote:

        > I our area Home Depot carries copper refrigeration tubing in various
        > diameters and various coil lengths. Otherwise, I would think most hardware
        > stores would carry it.

      • i_mad_gination
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
          Very nice...thanks Brian!

        • brian458666@550access.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
            Quoting i_mad_gination <kellymadden@...>:

            > Very nice...

            Depending on your heat source and ambient temperatures, I think that hobby
            shop tubing with its thin walls might be easier to heat, although easy to
            collapse or kink when bending. Another place worth looking at is MicroMark.
            I've bought from them and had no problems or concerns.
            Brian
          • i_mad_gination
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
              Thank you Brian. I found some brass tubing at Hobby Lobby. On my way to making my first pop pop boat and then a vessel that creates extra ripples!

              --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, brian458666@... wrote:

              > Quoting i_mad_gination <kellymadden@...>:
              >
              > > Very nice...
              >
              > Depending on your heat source and ambient temperatures, I think that hobby
              > shop tubing with its thin walls might be easier to heat, although easy to
              > collapse or kink when bending. Another place worth looking at is MicroMark.
              > I've bought from them and had no problems or concerns.
              > Brian

            • darylcanada73
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5, 2010
                If you like you can have a look at two of my videos on Youtube that have the type of rotating vessel you describe. In Part 2-Canadian Putt putt Boats the vessel is a tin can with a 3 tube boiler type engine. In Part 3 a mixing bowl is used with a hybrid coil/diaphragm engine. The first is clearly better. A rotating can doesn't make much in the way of waves or ripples. Making it heavy so it sits deep in the water and then weighting it so it is off center will make it wobble so there is more wave action if that is what you want.
                Link to my videos................. http://www.youtube.com/user/PuttPutt4video

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 5, 2010
                  Thank you Daryl - these are fantastic! You are a true inspiration!

                  Kelly